[homeles_ot-l] Opposing SCAN legislation

Trudy Sutton trudy at housinghelp.on.ca
Wed Dec 10 12:08:51 EST 2008

Bill 106 – The Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods Act (SCAN) was
introduced as a private member's bill by MPP Yasir Naqvi, on October 2,
2008. This Bill (SCAN) would enable municipalities to appoint a Director of
Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods that will accept anonymous allegations
of unsafe or illegal activities occurring on or near specific properties.
The SCAN Director has sweeping powers to conduct surveillance of accused
tenants and homeowners.  The Director can then apply to Superior Court to
evict the tenant or close the property for up to 90 days through a
'Community Safety Order'.

You can view the full bill at:
www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&BillID=2064

Housing Help Staff and Board members have serious concerns about the
negative effects/consequences it can have on tenants (who in many cases are
already marginalized) and we have adopted the attached resolution opposing
SCAN.  It is our hope that more agencies/individuals will vocalize their
opposition to the proposed legislation. We would like to know if your
organization has taken a stand on this issue.

We will be organizing an information session in late January / early
February. In the meantime, if you would like more information, you can
contact me at trudy at housinghelp.on.ca

Trudy Sutton
Executive Director
Housing Help