[homeles_ot-l] FW: Recession Relief Fund Declaration Launched - PLEASE SIGN ON

Gerry Richard grichard at salus.on.ca
Tue Dec 23 12:08:07 EST 2008

________________________________

Subject: FW: Recession Relief Fund Declaration Launched - PLEASE SIGN ON

________________________________

From: The Canadian Harm Reduction Network
[mailto:walter.cavalieri at rogers.com]
Sent: December 20, 2008 12:21 PM
To: Sylvie Bourgeois

The following announcement is sent to you by the Canadian Harm Reduction
Network
http://www.canadianharmreduction.com
<http://www.canadianharmreduction.com>
Please visit our website, check it out and support us by becoming a
member.

Please circulate this media release broadly

Recession Relief Fund Declaration Launched

The Federal Government Must Increase Spending on Supports for Canada's
most Vulnerable

Toronto, December 18, 2008:

The Recession Relief Coalition is calling for a Recession Relief Fund,
which will provide support for agencies, such as food banks, drop-ins,
shelters and employment centres, providing essential services to our
most vulnerable people. This fund should also provide money for a
National housing Program.

"Foundations have had their endowment funds hit by the collapse in
equity prices, many companies are fighting for their survival,
individuals are experiencing declining net worth and are afraid of
losing their jobs." stated John Andras, Senior Vice President, Research
Capital. "We cannot expect the private sector to maintain the donation
levels to front line service providers"

As donations decline, demand is increasing. Food Bank usage is rising
and drop-ins are seeing greater numbers requiring services, including
more families.

"Many folks, when they lose their jobs, can hang on 60-90 days before we
start to see them" asserted Bob Rose, Program Director, Parkdale
Activity Recreation Centre, a member of the Toronto Drop-in Network.
"With 60,000 jobs lost in November in Ontario alone, we know demand is
going to increase dramatically".

"Unless the Federal Government steps up to close the funding gap, many
agencies will have to lay-off staff, close programs and in some cases
will not be able to survive" said

Bill Morari, President, The Rotary Club of Toronto. "This will only
increase the load on an already over-stretched system. The private and
charitable sectors can not do this alone".

What we are seeing is happening in every municipality across Canada. The
Government of Canada must provide emergency funding now. "We urge every
agency, every business, every individual across Canada to sign the
Declaration", Said Mr. Andras. "We must act now, while the Budget is
being drawn up, to remind Ottawa that people are hurting and that the
Federal Government has a responsibility to all Canadians"

The on-line declaration can be accessed at
http://socialplanningtoronto.org/recession_relief_fund.html
<http://socialplanningtoronto.org/recession_relief_fund.html> . PLEASE
SIGN IT.

... and please circulate this message widely.

Toronto Contacts:

   John Andras
     Senior Vice President
     Research Capital