[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: 25 in 5 Goes on the Road - 25 in 5 Weekly eBulletin - November 17th

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:24:23 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction <
25_in_5_Network_for_Poverty_Redu at mail.vresp.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM
Subject: 25 in 5 Goes on the Road - 25 in 5 Weekly eBulletin - November 17th
To: mocharebyl at gmail.com

 *Countdown to a Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS)
**With 2 weeks until the December deadline, 25 in 5 goes on the road*

   1. Quote of the week: Too Much Poverty, Too Few Solutions Letting Our
   Young People Down <#11dab76e89d7862c_quote>
   2. Leadership in Hard Times:  25 in 5 Network launches 22-city tour to
   promote poverty reduction
    <#11dab76e89d7862c_tour>
   3. Three ways you can make a difference for poverty reduction, including
   DEADLINE TODAY to appear before pre-budget consultations in
Toronto<#11dab76e89d7862c_deadline>
   4. Governments can use crisis to repair and rebuild infrastructure while
   fighting poverty, says economist Armine Yalnizyan<#11dab76e89d7862c_armine>
   5. Five provinces and counting on poverty reduction, is Manitoba
next?<#11dab76e89d7862c_manitoba>

------------------------------
*Quote of the week*

""Poverty without hope, poverty with isolation, poverty with hunger and poor
living conditions, poverty with racism and poverty with numerous daily
reminders of social exclusion can lead to the immediate risk factors for
violence... at present, there is both too much poverty and too little by way
of counterweights to prevent poverty being a central issue for anyone
concerned about the extent of violence involving youth in this province."

Who said it?  The Hon. Roy McMurtry and Dr. Alvin Curling in The Review of
the Roots of Youth Violence.

See related press
coverage<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/dabb080be4/hl=en&tab=wn&ned=ca&q=curling+mcmurtry&ie=UTF-8&scoring=n>or
read
the Final Report<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/4d764941e6>

------------------------------
25 in 5 Network Launches Poverty Reduction Tour

The 25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction unveiled today its plan for a
six-week "Leadership in Hard Times: 25 in 5's Tour to Promote Poverty
Reduction," just weeks before the Ontario government announces its poverty
reduction strategy.

"Our 22-city tour focuses on building support for a solid plan, with
investments starting next year, if we're going to meet our goal of reducing
poverty and protecting Ontarians from the worst case scenario of a long-term
recession," says Peter Clutterbuck of the Social Planning Network of
Ontario.

A consultation document, entitled A Blueprint for Poverty Reduction:
Leadership in Hard Times, will be presented for discussion in 22
communities. It argues that action on a poverty reduction plan is especially
necessary in tough economic times, identifies the various policy tools that
are at Ontario's disposal to tackle poverty, and proposes a set of specific,
multi-year steps to achieve the goal of 25 in 5.

Once the tour is complete, a full accounting of the proposals will be
released. The next few days will bring the tour to Toronto, Cornwall,
Belleville, Hamilton and Thunder Bay.  Other cities will follow.

Click here for the news
release.<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/3dbadf029e>

For the full line-up, including locations and contact info visit
povertywatchontario.ca<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/d5cd051f98>

For the consultation document, Blueprint for Poverty Reduction: Legacy for
an Inclusive Ontario - A Draft for Community Discussion, click
here<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/f1879d3899>.

Related Links

   - Cambridge<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/ff2ef0b2c4>:
   Check out video from the recent "25 in 5 Declaration on Poverty Reduction"
   forum, co-hosted by The Social Planning Council of Kitchener Waterloo, the
   Social Planning Council of Cambridge and North Dumfries and Opportunities
   Waterloo Region.
   - Sudbury<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/b7e59c1d47>:
   More than one hundred people attended an early morning breakfast in Greater
   Sudbury to learn more about the 25 in 5 movement on the morning of October
   30. A diverse crowd from the business, labour, health care, education,
   social service, municipal, faith based and general community gathered to
   listen to three key addresses from community leaders.  Sponsored by the
   Social Planning Council of Sudbury.
   - Welland Tribune<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/4a6ac86a42/e=1295348%20>:
   Thorold to discuss plans to reduce poverty, public meeting with 25 in 5
   speakers to be held Nov. 26, sponsored by the Niagara Social Assistance
   Reform Committee (SARC) and Social Services Advisory Committee.
   - Orillia's Packet and
Times<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/f9da1be603/e=1296683>:
   Poverty is here in the community and Orillia needs to set aside judgements
   and start doing small things to ease the burden of need, according to one
   worker who sees it every day.

------------------------------
December Deadline is Fast Approaching: 3 Ways to Make a Difference

"The government will announce its PRS in December. And when it does, we have
to be there, we have to be visible, and we have to declare that this is just
the end of the beginning of our fight. Because it won't have everything
we've fought for, and we want to ensure that those living in poverty know we
will not abandon them once again. We want to ensure that the public knows
that this is only  the start, a down payment on what's needed, and that our
voices and our fight remain strong ."
 Pat Capponi, from Remarks to the 25 in 5 Leadership
Summit<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/68f48df229>in
Toronto, November 17

1. Sign Up and Speak Up for Poverty Reduction at Pre-Budget Consultations

The Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs, a.k.a. the
"pre-budget committee": *TODAY IS THE DEADLINE* for signing up for Toronto
dates

The Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs is the all-party
committee that consults Ontarians annually on budget priorities – it is
critical that this committee hears the 25in5 message: Ontario needs a
downpayment  on poverty reduction in the 2009 budget. That means new dollars
for programs that will make a tangible difference in people's lives.

Toronto dates are now available to appear before the all-party committee on
November  20, December 4 & 11. Organizations should call 416-325-3883 before
November 17 to get on the list to present.

Click here to see more details and to find out how you can get involved.
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/3d888404d9>

*Finance Minister Dwight Duncan Consultations *

Ontario's Finance Minister has launched a round of cross-provincial
consultations to inform the 2009 spring budget. Dates available now in:
Ottawa - Nov 20, Toronto - Nov 21, Thunder Bay - Dec 1, Sudbury and Sault
St. Marie – Dec 12.  We need partners to commit to sign up and speak up for
poverty reduction before the Finance Minister.  Click here to see more
details and to find out how you can get
involved.<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/e5bd9cec46>

2. Tell your MPP Why our Economy Needs a Poverty Reduction Strategy Now

As Ontario edges closer to the announcement of a Poverty Reduction Plan, it
is more important than ever that our provincial elected officials hear from
their constituents about widespread support for action.  Every voicemail,
phone call, letter and email counts! Learn more
here.<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/a58dc7295f>

3. Join the Movement for Poverty Reduction in Your Community

Anti-poverty networks in more than 20 communities will be meeting in
November and December as part of the "Leadership in Hard Times: 25 in 5's
Tour to Promote Poverty Reduction,"  to" to get ready for the next stage of
the Poverty Reduction campaign.  Now is the time to talk about our
expectations of the government's plan in December and to begin to organize
our collective voice leading up to the 2009 spring budget in Ontario. Details
on times and locations is available here.
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/35aa9ba491>

------------------------------

Governments can use crisis to repair and rebuild infrastructure while
fighting poverty, says economist Armine Yalnizyan

Toronto Star, Nov
17<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/ef2ba0c153>

Our elected leaders can use this moment of economic slack to speed up the
repair and expansion of infrastructure and affordable housing so desperately
needed in communities across this country. That would create good jobs, at
good wages, and put in place a platform for the inevitable next phase of
economic expansion.

They can make sure that minimum wages do not consign workers to poverty, but
prevent it. The growth of temporary work may be a boon to employers, but it
undercuts the stability of the economy as a whole. Our governments can
enforce existing legislation, and make employment standards more relevant to
today's realities.

Governments are the only players in the mix equipped with the tools to help
society achieve balance and justice, not just economic growth.

Times may be tough. But there is no better time to demonstrate what
government of the people, for the people (all the people), really means.

Related Links

   - Ontarians waiting for leadership on poverty
reduction<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/05ecb322e5/pa=BB736455>,
   says new Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives poll
   - Public investment in affordable housing delivers powerful
benefits<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/6289c9b2b1>,
   Michael Shapcott, Wellesley Institute
    - Economic crisis no excuse to abandon anti-poverty
fight<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/a8011d8d2b>,
   Opinion article by economists Arthur Donner, Mike McCracken and Armine
   Yalnizyan in Toronto Star, October 21

------------------------------

*And finally, with five provinces already on board for poverty reduction…
Manitoba community coalition unveils anti-poverty strategy*

Winnipeg Free Press, November
9<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/0c6e6a203f>

A coalition of local community groups unveiled an anti-poverty strategy
Wednesday, calling on the Doer government to implement a comprehensive
campaign to reduce poverty.

The coalition of more than 30 organizations, calling itself Make Poverty
History Manitoba, said the provincial government's efforts to date to reduce
poverty have consisted of small, piecemeal measures that have proven
ineffective.

Gail Watson, chair of the coalition, said that a four-year community
consultation found that all groups believe that the Doer government's
efforts to date have not worked. Watson said the coalition believes the
province needs to follow the examples of several other provinces and
European countries that are finding success with a strategy that includes
identifiable targets and deadlines across every aspect of government.

"We need timelines and benchmarks to measure progress," Shauna Mackinnon,
director of the Manitoba office of the Canadian Centre for Policy
Alternatives and a coalition member, said at a news conference held this
morning at the Millennium Library.

Graham Starmer, President of the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce and another
coalition member, said the business community supports the need for a
strategy because it recognizes that healthy communities are crucial to the
success of business.

------------------------------

*Add your voice to the 25 in 5 Declaration*

 By endorsing the 25 in 5 Declaration we can send a clear message to the
Provincial Government that action on poverty reduction cannot be delayed.

Just some of the new organizations to endorse this week:

   - Women's Own Resource Centre
   - Ansaar Foundation
   - Orangeville and District Labour Council
    - Quinte Labour Council
   - Labour Community Services of Peel
   - Tony Ruprecht, MPP (Davenport)
    - Community Action Research
   - Labour Community Services
   - North York Harvest Food Bank

 Add your voice. Visit
www.25in5.ca<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/8b503d4b9c/CSPCT/7fd6d870cc/a53c86dbe7/938f26062f>
and
sign on for poverty reduction by endorsing the 25 in 5 Declaration.

------------------------------

*About the Countdown to a Poverty Reduction Plan eBulletins*

 The 25 in 5 Network is steered by a coalition of Ontario organizations
including Campaign 2000, the Income Security Advocacy Centre, the Social
Planning Network of Ontario the Interfaith Social Assistance Reform
Coalition, The Colour of Poverty Project, the Ontario Coalition for Social
Justice, Voices From the Street, among others.

 This is a weekly bulletin from 25 in 5 to its contact list of supporters
and interested parties across the province. The Countdown Bulletin is
intended to keep you up to date on the development of a poverty reduction
plan for Ontario and to let you know how you, your organizations and
networks can help make it happen.

 For more information visit
www.25in5.ca<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CommunitySocialPlann/3a5a9bd417/eb46af6dad/d837a4e957/CSPCT/7fd6d870cc/a53c86dbe7/25707a9dce>

25 in 5 Network for Poverty Reduction
c/o Community Social Planning Council of Toronto
2 Carlton St., Suite 1001
Toronto, ON M5B 1J3

Read <http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html> the
VerticalResponse marketing policy.
[image: Non-Profits Email Free with
VerticalResponse!]<http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing/non-profits/?np/3a5a9bd417>

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a