[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: PM accused of ducking poverty issue; Only federal leader who doesn't appear in coalition video

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 18:51:39 EDT 2008

PM accused of ducking poverty issue; Only federal leader who doesn't appear
in coalition video

Sue Bailey
The Toronto Star , Sept. 29, 2008

Stephen Harper is facing criticism that he's ducking questions on how to
help Canadians living in poverty, even as economic turmoil threatens to push
more people over a fiscal cliff.

The Prime Minister is the only major party leader not appearing in a video
prepared by a national anti-poverty coalition to be officially launched
today on YouTube.

A sneak peak was posted yesterday at www.makepovertyhistory.ca/ontherecord.
It's part of a bid by the Assembly of First Nations and Make Poverty History
- a coalition that includes 1,000 development agencies, unions, student
groups and churches - to put poverty on the election radar.

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion, New Democrat Jack Layton, Elizabeth May of the
Green party, and Gilles Duceppe of the Bloc Quebecois all answer questions
for the video On the Record.

"In all cases they have something to say about what they'll do to deal with
global, domestic and aboriginal poverty," said Dennis Howlett, co-ordinator
of Make Poverty History. "But so far we haven't heard anything from Stephen
Harper.

"We went back and forth for quite some time with the Prime Minister's Office
media people. The final thing we got back was our questions were too
specific and that he would do it if we asked more general questions. ... The
whole point was to get specific commitments from party leaders."

The coalition is calling for a national end-poverty plan with measurable
targets over the next five years. It's also pushing for implementation of
the $5.1 billion Kelowna Accord to raise aboriginal living standards, a
Liberal plan that was scrapped by the Conservatives.

And it's urging federal contenders to commit to raising international aid to
0.7 per cent of gross national income over 10 years.

According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development
(OECD), Ottawa last year spent 0.28 per cent of gross national income, about
$4.5 billion, on international aid. That's down from 0.34 per cent, a slide
that picked up speed after the Conservatives took power in 2006.

Harper promised in the last campaign to increase Canada's contributions to
the average of other donor countries - about 0.5 per cent.

At home, a recent C.D. Howe Institute study says about 11 per cent of
Canadians - roughly 3.4 million people - fall below Statistics Canada's low-
income cutoff. The Liberals say they would resurrect a scaled-back Kelowna
Accord, offering $2.1 billion over four years for aboriginal health, housing
and economic spending. They have also pledged tax benefits and other
measures to help reduce the number of people living below the poverty line
by at least 30 per cent.

Conservatives have so far said they'll extend almost $2 billion for
affordable housing originally committed by the previous Liberal government.
Harper has promised modest tax breaks for senior citizens and people who
stay home to care for a disabled family member.

The NDP has promised a $10-an-hour minimum wage and an ambitious child-care
plan.

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
"If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you