[homeles_ot-l] FW: A Mental Health Strategy for Canada: MHCC Online Consultation

Tim D. Aubry taubry at uottawa.ca
Thu Feb 12 09:59:47 EST 2009

FYI.

________________________________

From: Gillian Mulvale [mailto:gmulvale at mentalhealthcommission.ca]
Sent: 11 février 2009 22:20
Subject: A Mental Health Strategy for Canada: MHCC Online Consultation

Hi everyone,

The Mental Health Commission of Canada launched electronic consultations today to obtain feedback from Canadians on the eight high-level goals we are proposing as a draft framework for a mental health strategy for Canada.

The goals focus on WHAT we are trying to accomplish. We want to be sure that this is what Canadians think we need before we finalize the goals. We will then proceed to the next phase of mental health strategy development, which will look at HOW we will achieve these goals.

I encourage you to complete the electronic workbook  which will guide you through the document and/or the stories and ideas section.

We need to hear from as many Canadians as possible if we are to succeed in developing a strategy that will work for all Canadians. We need to hear from people of every age (including children and youth and seniors), every location, both sexes, and from a variety of cultural backgrounds as interested citizens, people living with mental health problems and illnesses, people living with mental health problems and illnesses, friends, family members, educators, health care providers, researchers, policy makers and so on.

I would encourage you to spread the word to your friends and to your own networks. Feel free to copy the proposed email message (see below) and send it  by email using the same subject line to anyone you think might be interested.

To learn more and to participate, simply go to www.mentalhealthcommission.ca and follow the links to the electronic consultation and the framework document under "Have your say!" on the right hand side of the page. Below these is the link to our blog where you can follow the progress of our regional stakeholder meetings that are being held in 11 cities across Canada.

Many thanks!

Gillian Mulvale, PhD

Senior Policy Advisor, Mental Health Strategy

Mental Health Commission of Canada

Proposed email message:

The Mental Health Commission of Canada invites you to contribute to the development of a mental health strategy for Canada.

For more information: www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/strategy

Canada is the only G8 country without a mental health strategy. The Mental Health Commission of Canada has been given the responsibility to work with Canadians to address this gap.

An important part of this process is for the Commission to hear from as many individual Canadians as possible that have been affected by or are interested in mental health issues. The Commission is also committed to engaging with organisations or groups who are active in the area of mental health, mental illness and addiction.

With this in mind, the Commission has launched an extensive online consultation process to allow you, or your group or organization, to learn about and provide input on this very important topic.

Make your contribution to the development of a mental health strategy for Canada by visiting:

www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/strategy

The Commission also invites you to share this invitation with others who might wish to participate, or learn about mental health issues in Canada. We hope to hear from as many individual Canadians, groups and organisations as possible: it is only by working together that we will keep mental health issues out of the shadows - forever.

The Mental Health Commission of Canada apologizes if you receive this message more than once. Our goal is to share this invitation as broadly as possible.