[homeles_ot-l] Fraud

ep.powerreid at servicecanada.gc.ca ep.powerreid at servicecanada.gc.ca
Wed Mar 11 08:42:23 EDT 2009

Good morning everyone,

Service Canada received an alert through a client that someone is attempting to obtain Social Insurance Numbers from unsuspecting citizens.

A client came in yesterday to ask if we knew if CRA was contacting people and asking for their SIN for Epass purposes.  We confirmed that the Government of Canada  doesn't send emails to citizens requesting their SIN numbers.

The email was from: Canadian Tax Revenue
Subject:  You are entitled to a tax refund now
Date of Receipt:  Sunday 8 Mar 09

Given the tax season and interest people have in getting refunds quickly, we are especially concerned about this one. Please share with your colleagues.

Cheers
EP

EP Power Reid
Director, Eastern Ontario