[homeles_ot-l] request to participate in a research study

VIVIEN RUNNELS runnels5 at rogers.com
Wed Mar 11 18:10:55 EDT 2009

Dear Alliance and listserv Members

I am writing to you with a request for your support of a research study, please.

I am a student at the University of Ottawa and I am studying community-university research collaborations who work on housing and homelessness issues in Canada. I am interested in learning how community and university members together go about governing research collaborations, what arrangements they make and how collaborators experience and judge the outcomes of the arrangements.

I am interested in learning about your experience if you have been or are currently a community member/collaborator in a community-university research project, - not as someone who had an interview for a research study, but as someone that helped make decisions with regard to the research.

Would you please contact me if you are interested in participating in an interview or if you would like further information about the study? Participation in an interview is a voluntary activity and you are not obliged to participate. If you do choose to take part in an interview you are assured of confidentiality and anonymity in the reporting of results.

I think the research will ultimately be helpful to community and university members of research collaborations who are engaged in or about to become involved in community-based collaborative research in Canada. I will be sending participants (and others who are interested) a copy of the findings of the interviews.

I will be glad to discuss any questions or concerns that you might have about participating or the content of the interview.  Please contact me, Vivien Runnels, by e-mail (vrunnels at uottawa.ca).

For your information and assurance, oversight of the study’s ethical conduct is by the University of Ottawa Research Ethics Board.  My research is being supervised by Dr. Caroline Andrew (candrew at uottawa.ca) of the Centre of Governance at the University of Ottawa.

I hope that I can count on your support and look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Sincerely yours
Vivien Runnels