[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Economic crisis could stall poverty plan, minister says

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 07:40:24 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Rae <rae at blindcanadians.ca>
Date: 2009/3/13
Subject: Economic crisis could stall poverty plan, minister says
To: John Rae <rae at blindcanadians.ca>

Economic crisis could stall poverty plan, minister says

Joanna Smith
The Toronto Star, Mar. 13, 2009

The economic crisis could disrupt an Ontario government strategy to reduce
child poverty by 25 per cent over the next five years, provincial Children
and Youth Services Minister Deb Matthews said yesterday.

"The economic growth numbers that we used when we released the strategy were
based on the consensus of the economists of the day," Matthews told the
Commons committee on human resources and skills development. "Things have
changed and I don't for a minute underestimate the difficult economic
challenges that
are going to be faced."

The provincial government released its anti-poverty blueprint - which aims
to lift 90,000 Ontario children above the poverty line by 2014 - last
December. Matthews says she has always been upfront about its dependence on
economic growth and co-operation from all three levels of government.

Matthews said worsened economic conditions could result in an interruption
in implementing the strategy but insisted the government can still succeed.

"I am optimistic we can achieve it and I can assure you that kids will be
better off as a result of this strategy regardless of the economy," she
said.

Matthews appeared before the committee, where MPs are working to develop a
national anti-poverty strategy, to stress where the province needs help from
the federal government in order to meet its targets.

"We weren't prepared to wait for a national strategy, but we do believe that
we have to do this together," Matthews said. "Canada is a country that is
different in that we have strong provincial governments, but that doesn't
mean that the federal government can abdicate its responsibility."

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
“If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a