[homeles_ot-l] Rooming House Tenants- Stories of Survival

Rob MacDonald robm at housinghelp.on.ca
Wed May 27 10:25:38 EDT 2009

The Rooming House Action Network is a coalition of community agencies and
tenants who reside in rooming houses.  It began last fall when several
tenants asked us for guidance in establishing tenants’ associations in their
buildings.  After several meetings, we recognized the vulnerability of the
tenants who expressed their fears of ‘coming forward’ for fear of eviction.
We saw the necessity to expand the scope of the project and develop a
comprehensive plan that not only assists tenants with their immediate
problems but also establishes a long-term plan of action to effect change in
the community.

The current goal of the Rooming House Action Network is to work directly
with tenants in rooming houses by helping them tell their own personal
experiences in their own words. With the consent of the tenants who are
willing to come forward, we are collecting testimonials, photos, videos, and
hard copy material to give a true representation of their experiences and
the barriers and struggles they encounter on a daily basis.  We are
currently in the process of recording a video of testimonials from current
tenants or those who have  been recent tenants in rooming houses.  This
video will be used as a tool to educate the general public as well as those
who are in a position to effect change, such as politicians, City staff, OW,
ODSP and the general public.

For further information or to make a tenant referral, please contact :

Rob MacDonald at 613-563-4532, extension 226   robm@ housinghelp.on.ca

Christina Justo at 613-563-4532, extension 428   christina at housinghelp.on.ca

--
Rob MacDonald,

"Warriors, warriors we call ourselves.  We fight for
splendid virtue, for high endeavour, for sublime wisdom,
therefore we call ourselves warriors."
Aunguttara Nikaya