[homeles_ot-l] ATEH & Community and Protective Services Committee June 1st

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Fri May 29 09:49:37 EDT 2009

Good morning all,

We are pleased to report that after a number of productive discussions, we
have received a letter from Councillor Deans in her role as Chair of
Community and Protective Services Committee about her support of our call to
integrate existing social housing and residential supports with affordable
housing.

She and other Councillors support re-aligning social housing and affordable
housing into a Housing Branch within Community and Social Services and
recognise it would better serve to promote the consistent delivery of
service as envisioned by the service excellence model. She advised us she
will propose a new model for Council consideration that would include a
Senior Manager for Housing within Community and Social Services, responsible
for social housing, shelter management and new affordable housing
development.

There is a good possibility such a motion will be made at the Community and
Protective Services Committee (CPSC), even though, as it turns out, the
staff report on the city’s reorganization is not on this agenda.

We have been advised that “Councillor Deans will be presenting a motion to
suspend the rules of procedure at the June 1 CPSC meeting to introduce that
motion.  The committee will vote on suspension and if suspension is
approved, they will then hear the motion.  Speakers are permitted and can
register with the Committee Coordinator Marc Desjardins to make a five
minute presentation to the Committee.  Marc can be reached at 613-580-2424
extension 28821.  Marc has suggested that speakers can submit their comments
in writing to him and he will provide them to the committee members.  His
e-mail is HYPERLINK
"mailto:marc.desjardins at ottawa.ca"marc.desjardins at ottawa.ca.”

ATEH Chair Perry Rowe and Vice  Chair Marion Wright will be speaking in
support of re-integrating homeless and housing services and supports and
existing and new affordable housing. And will speak in support of creating a
senior housing manager position with a ‘mandate for leadership’, responsible
for residential supports, existing social housing and new affordable
housing.  At least three other speakers have indicated they will be there
too which is very helpful.

If the motion is heard and if it is passed, we’ll be calling on everyone to
send Council letters of community support, but more on that after Monday.

Another update: We’ve had some technical challenges in preparing the From
Homelessness to Home documentary film for our website but they are being
resolved as I type. Please watch for the announcement announcing its
availability early next week.

Lynne

147 Besserer St., Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7

613-241-7913, ext. 205