[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Schedule - Poverty Awareness Week 2009 October 9 - 18 (2)

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:19:02 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: PAW Committee <paw.ctte at yahoo.ca>
Date: 2009/10/7
Subject: Schedule - Poverty Awareness Week 2009 October 9 - 18 (2)
To: PAW Committee <paw.ctte at yahoo.ca>

10th ANNIVERSARY POVERTY AWARENESS WEEK 2009 – October 9th to 18th –EVENT
SCHEDULE

This year we are marking the 10th anniversary of Poverty Awareness Week in
Ottawa. We have moved Poverty Awareness Week from March to October to
coincide with the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty on
October 17th. We have merged our activities with the Ottawa Committee for
October 17th which is the group that has organized the Vigils at the
Monument in past years. In addition to events organized by the Poverty
Awareness Committee, there are several other events taking place during the
Week.

The Week will start with the official Launch on October 9th at noon in Jean
Piggott Hall at City Hall. Mayor Larry O’Brien will proclaim Poverty
Awareness Week in Ottawa and we will announce the winners of the Dorothy
O’Connell Award for Anti-Poverty Activism. The individual award will go to a
well-loved woman who, throughout her life, worked to improve the situation
of the low-income community and mentored emerging community leaders. The
group award will be given to an organization that supports the inclusion of
low income children in their community. Barb McInnes of the Community
Foundation of Ottawa will be speaking about the just-released Vital Signs
report, their annual check-up on the health of our city. A light lunch will
be served.

On October 17th, we will hold a Vigil at the Anti-Poverty Monument on the
south lawn of City Hall starting at 5:00 pm to mark the International Day
for the Eradication of Poverty (IDEP). The Vigil is dedicated to those who
live in poverty in Ottawa and around the world. During the Vigil, we will
hold a Stand-Up segment where we will join with anti-poverty activists and
Make Poverty History groups around the world in taking a pledge to end
poverty. We will take a count of participants to add to those in other
communities across Canada. The UN theme for IDEP this year is “Children
Speak Out Against Poverty” and we will be announcing a special children’s
contest that day.

Later in October, the Poverty Awareness Committee will be holding a Poverty
Forum to discuss local issues including housing, income security and food
security as well as our governments’ poverty reduction strategies. The date
and location will be announced shortly.

The 10th Anniversary Poverty Awareness Dinner will be held on November 19th.
The dinner will honour Joan Gullen and the Wabano Centre for Aboriginal
Health, the 2008 winners of the Dorothy O’Connell Award. We will also be
announcing the winners of the children’s contest. In addition, we will be
unveiling a new program to support emerging community leaders. More details
and ticket information will be available in the coming weeks.

 Other Events

Several other groups are holding events during Poverty Awareness Week. Their
posters or other information are attached.

During Thanksgiving weekend there are several Dinners planned. See the
attached list.

On Wednesday October 14th, the Ottawa Bahá’í Community is holding a panel
discussion at the Ottawa Bahá’í Centre at 211 McArthur Avenue from 7:30 to
9:30. For more info, please contact
heather.harvey1 at gmail.com<http://ca.mc1119.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=heather.harvey1@gmail.com>.
Please note you are asked not to wear perfume or other scented products to
this event.

>From October 15th to 18th, the second annual Organizing for Justice
Conference will be held at 440 Albert Street (old Ottawa Tech High
School). A conference focused on social, economic and environmental justice,
and healthy communities: this year's theme is Grassroots Responses to the
Economic & Environmental Crises. There will be keynote evening panels and
full days of workshops (both in English and French) as well as a
book/info-fair, community dinner, and night of music, theatre and spoken
word. The purpose of the conference is to develop strategy and vision,
skills and tools, and relationships and networks. For more info, go to
www.OrganizingForJustice.ca <http://www.organizingforjustice.ca/>,
org4justice at gmail.com<http://ca.mc1119.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=org4justice@gmail.com>,
613-656-5498

Schedule, Oct 15-18:
* Thurs evening Panel discussion (English)
* Fri evening Music, Theatre and Spoken Word performances and Social event
(English)
* Sat all-day Book-/Info-fair and multiple sessions of Workshops, followed
by a Community Dinner
* Sat evening Table Ronde (panel discussion, in French)
* Sun all-day Ateliers (multiple workshops, in French) along with some
info-tabling

Citizens for Public Justice is holding a Justice Jam at St. Joe’s Church,
174 Wilbrod Street at Cumberland, on Friday October 16th from 7:00 to 10:30
pm. Tickets are $20 regular and $10 for students and low income folks and
can be purchased at the door. For more info, go to cpj.ca.

“No Earthly Home”, a benefit concert for the Alliance to End Homelessness
will be held at the Bronson Centre on October 18th at 2:00 pm with several
folk artists. For more info, call 613-748-6262 or
http://noearthlyhome.eventbrite.com.

Post-Secondary students will be rallying on November 5th at noon at the
Human Rights Monument for a Poverty Free Ontario. For more info contact
pres at cusaonline.com

The Municipal Poverty Reduction Strategy Report will be going to Community &
Protectivre Services Committee on December 3rd and to Council on the 9th. It
will be important for people to attend the committee meeting and comment on
the report. It should be on the city's website on November 27th.

We encourage you to support as many of these events as possible. For those
of you who like to plan ahead, mark your calendars for Poverty Awareness
Week 2010 from October 8th to the 17th, 2010!

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! *Get
it Now for Free!* <http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/>

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
“If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a