[homeles_ot-l] FW: New Housing Course at Carleton

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Fri Aug 27 11:45:22 EDT 2010

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Falvo [mailto:nfalvo at connect.carleton.ca]
Sent: August 27, 2010 10:56 AM
To: Lynne Browne
Subject: New Housing Course at Carleton

Hi Lynne: Do you mind circulating this through the listserve?

--

CARLETON UNIVERSITY, SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK

NEW COURSE: Affordable Housing and Homelessness

SOWK 4209 B (Special Studies) - CRN 15852

Winter Term (January 2011 - April 2011)

Thursdays 8:30AM - 11:30AM

Instructor: Nick Falvo

The purpose of the course is to provide an introduction to the economic

and social basis of affordable housing and homelessness. The starting

point is a survey of Canadian housing and homelessness indicators.

>From there we will devote a session to the "housing market" before

embarking on several sessions in which we will examine the history of

housing policy in Canada. We will then look at housing for

marginalized groups, homelessness, and health implications of both

inadequate housing and no housing at all. The last three classes will

look at provincial regulation of housing, municipal regulation of

housing and potential solutions to the problem of the lack of

affordable housing respectively.

Course Instructor: Nick Falvo is a PhD Candidate at Carleton's School

of Public Policy and Administration. He is the author of several

policy papers on affordable housing and homelessness, a frequent guest

lecturer at Canadian universities, and the main researcher on a

three-year SSHRC-funded study looking at affordable housing and

homelessness in the Northwest Territories. Prior to beginning his

doctoral studies at Carleton, he spent 10 years working as a community

worker in Toronto, working primarily with homeless individuals.

Contact Nick at nfalvo at connect.carleton.ca

--

lbrowne at ysb.on.ca

147 Besserer St., Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7