[homeles_ot-l] Op-ed ... and FW: Poor No More - RALLY IN OTTAWA Saturday Jan 16

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Thu Jan 7 14:23:23 EST 2010

Hello all,

A good Op-ed in the Citizen today touching on homelessness, affordable
housing and poverty . . .

We can't afford not to take on poverty

 By Art Eggleton and Hugh Segal, Citizen Special January 7, 2010

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/afford+take+poverty/2414695/story.htmln
ews

An invitation to the 'Poor no more' Rally this Saturday -

RALLY IN OTTAWA - SATURDAY, JAN 16

PURPOSE - We are planning a final event to give the film some closure. This
final scene will offer the working poor a way out. It will mobilize
Canadians to act on the message of the film - encouraging them to organize
stronger social movements and elect more progressive governments that ensure
a more just and equitable society for all.

FEATURING - The rally will be hosted by Mary Walsh and will bring together
many of the characters that we've introduced in the film -- Durval, Vicki
and her daughter, Brenda and her kids, Fa and Augustine who worked at PMP,
the janitor, the family on welfare, the foodbank guy, Andy Mitchell, Randy
Robinson, etc. We also want to attract people from our long list of sponsors
and supporters and attract lots of young faces from the local universities,
colleges and high schools.  We'll be publicizing the rally using our social
media tools (setting up an events page on Facebook), distributing posters
and putting ads in the campus newspapers.

CONTENT - Mary will speak and we will get clips from many of the
participants - asking them what they've learned, what changes they would
like to see, and what they think Canada could learn from Ireland or Sweden.

LOGISTICS - We will invite people coming from outside the city to travel to
Ottawa on Friday. We will assemble close to Parliament Hill and then march
onto the Hill.

We will assemble at a nearby church, at the Chateau Laurier or a restaurant
near the Sparks Street Mall (where we could rent a function room from 11:00
to 3:00). In order to help attract a crowd we will offer lunch with Mary
Walsh -- and ask our partners to contribute or charge people a nominal
amount to cover the cost.

At 1:30 we march to Parliament Hill - first to the Flame, and beyond that to
the steps of the House of Commons.  We will try to get all the shots
required in one hour or so...We could then march somewhere else -- eg. the
CCCE office is one block away (inside the Royal Bank building).

BAD WEATHER - We will minimize walking distances so that people don't suffer
because of the cold. But if the weather is REALLY bad, we could rally in
front of the Bank of Canada on the Sparks Street Mall (where we would be
somewhat out of the wind).  The worst possibility is that the roads are so
bad that people don't make it up to Ottawa on Saturday...So we will bring
the key people up on Friday, and arrange accommodations....

PROPS - We will prepare only one banner and discourage people from bringing
placards.