[homeles_ot-l] Fwd: Two actions to take for housing this month!

Terrie mocharebyl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 17:15:29 EST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Yutaka Dirks (ACTO) <dirksy at lao.on.ca>
Date: 2010/1/22
Subject: Two actions to take for housing this month!
To: "Yutaka Dirks (ACTO)" <dirksy at lao.on.ca>

Housing activists across Ontario have made some headway over the past year
in highlighting the housing needs of our communities, and strengthening our
calls for an Ontario where everyone can live poverty-free with dignity in
housing that is stable, adequate, equitably accessible and affordable. You
can take two actions this month to can continue that amazing work:
*1. Make a submission to the pre-budget consultations before February 3rd!*

The Ontario Government is inviting people to make comments on what needs to
be addressed in the 2010 budget.  You can find how to make a submission by
visiting their website<http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/fallstatement/2009/chapter6.html>
.  You can email your submission to: submissions at ontario.ca or mail it to:
The Minister of Finance, c/o Budget Secretariat,
Frost Building North, 3rd Floor,
95 Grosvenor Street, Toronto, ON M7A 1Z1

The Wellesley Institute, a Housing Network of Ontario partner, has produced
a fact sheet and set of
recommendations<http://www.stableandaffordable.com/sites/default/files/BudgetSubmissionInfo.pdf>that
can be made about affordable housing.  Some key points that we suggest
you include in your pre-budget submission:

-          Reverse the operating spending cuts at the Ministry of Housing
and the affordable housing program.

-          Ensure that federal and provincial funding promises already made
are kept.

-          Make a significant down-payment on a 10-yr affordable housing
strategy by providing funding for 10,000 new units of affordable housing.

-          Introduce a housing benefit or better fund and expand existing
housing allowance programs to address the gap between tenant incomes and
unaffordable rents.

-          Fund culturally-appropriate supportive housing and support
programs for marginalized Ontarians.

-          Investing in affordable housing is good economic stimulus and is
needed if we intend to reduce and eventually eliminate poverty.
*2. Arrange to meet with your MPP to advocate for affordable housing in your
community!*

The deadline to make submissions to the Long Term Affordably Housing
Strategy has passed but our elected officials need to hear that the lack of
affordable housing in our communities is an urgent and pressing need that
must be addressed, both in the 2010 budget, and through a comprehensive,
fully-funded long-term affordable housing strategy.  You can use this
tip-sheet<http://www.stableandaffordable.com/sites/default/files/LobbyTipSheet.pdf>
, produced by HNO-partner Campaign 2000, for information and suggestions on
how to begin lobbying your MPP.  Feel free to use other materials available
on the Housing Network of Ontario website when you meet with your MPP –
www.stableandaffordable.com

If you do plan to meet with your MPP please contact
thomasgr at familyservicetoronto.org  or 416-595-9230x223 at Campaign 2000. He
may be able to link you up with other reps in your riding, and would LOVE to
get an evaluation from you after your meeting.

*Yutaka Dirks*

Advocacy and Outreach Coordinator

*Advocacy Centre for Tenants - Ontario*

425 Adelaide St. W., 5th Flr.

Toronto, ON  M5V 3C1

Tel:   416-597-5855 x. 5243

Fax:  416-597-5821

www.acto.ca

--
Terrie ( mocharebyl at gmail.com )
“If you see an injustice being committed, you aren't an observer, you are a