[homeles_ot-l] Free Speech and Dissent (http://www.uottawa.ca/constitutional-law/expression.html), on Policy Based Homelessness and Poverty--What an ugly word. But not really.

lj1967 at sympatico.ca lj1967 at sympatico.ca
Fri May 14 18:10:59 EDT 2010

Dissent, on Policy Based Homelessness and Poverty--What an ugly word.  But not really.

I have passed this on to those I know who are helping the Poor find and defend their voices in this City.

Section 2(b) of the Charter states that "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: ... freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication." http://www.uottawa.ca/constitutional-law/expression.html

To whom it may concern,

I must say I am quite disgusted at the backlash directed ainst the poor in this City, whenever they dissagree on some issue that is frankly quite disagreeable. The way the Poor are treated here in Ottawa is shameful. We here in community do not support the petulant propaganda the flows out from the City of Ottawa's Human ("People") Resources Offices regarding the plight of the Poor. Nor, are we the Ottawa Alliance to End Homelessness.  The Poor and disenfrancised have every right to be on this list serve and to voice their dissent on issues the effect their health and well-being.

Furthermore, to those that it may concern, we here, are not the alliance list-serve. Hence, those that wish to unsubscribe themselves, then please do so. The marginalized in this City do not need gatekeepers brow-beating them. Again, feel free to look up the realities of Canadian Free Speech, dissent and the traditions therein. If you wish to further get into crazy making, on the man-made crisis that is homelessness and poverty, take a look into your heart before your start. Truly, it would be good if policy gatekeepers would keep it real when force feeding the poor and vulnerable their ministry and/or departmental spin.

Truly, the Poor and marginalized, already have to many vampires misrepresenting them via the Homelessness Industry that has sprung up since Mike Harris's Common Sense revolution (Théâtre de l'Absurde).

The Poor are routinely force feed misinformation aboout themselves and their struggles by any number of municipal, Service Ontario service providers and/or common varity dilatants that would happily censor the voices of the poorest amongst us.

Truly, many who claim to be "people resources" workers, just are not interested in what the Poor have to say about the injurious social policies, gatekeeping, ministry based product protection, nor their struggles under the programs that marginalize them. In short who cares about those that could care less or are not interested in what the actual Poor have to say on poverty and homelessness.

Brow-beating and/or bulling the Poor is a most obnoxious practice. Even now it is a norm. Nice not a word I'd use to support the treatment of the Poor, even here in Ottawa.  Feel free to live the sense if charity, that is dished out daily. We are deeply offended at the gatekeeping that goes on around the issues of Homelessness and Poverty in Ottawa. Indeed, our most vulnerable have been wronged.  In the end, if I had not attended a Montreal and Ottawa University of the Streets Cafe, I would not be aware of how poorly the Poorest amonst us are being portrayed or managed in community. It sadens me to see what passes for understanding these days on such important issues. I and others will be taking this up with our MPPs and MPs, accordingly. Mostly, what I have seen evole on the relevant matters since, Mike Harris is too often a tragic farce in unhelpful agendas. A truly, free society cannot function with coercive legal censorship, meddlesome gatekeepers and/or in those hands of persons supporting one ideology who are motivated to use the power of the censorship to suppress or monger fear over people with opposing viewpoints. Thank you, have a good day!

sincere regards, John McEvoy.

http://instdev.concordia.ca/ourprograms/universityofthestreetscafe/

http://homelessnation.org

Again. on Free speech and Dissent:   Section 2(b) of the Charter states that "Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: ... freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication." http://www.uottawa.ca/constitutional-law/expression.html