[homeles_ot-l] Support for resolution to ask feds to develop national anti-poverty strategy

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 02:47:26 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

This weekend municipal leaders from across Canada will be in Toronto for the annual conference of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. The delegates from Calgary are bringing a resolution to ask the feds to develop a national anti-poverty strategy. Ottawa City Council is sending a delegation to the conference and I would strongly encourage you to ask them to support this resolution.

Our Council adopted its first municipal Poverty Reduction Strategy on February 10th which is designed to work alongside the provincial strategy which was adopted last year. As you know, the responsibility for the measures that affect poverty is divided between the municipal, provincial and federal governments. The only way to really tackle this issue is by getting all three levels of government to work on it collaboratively.

I have been working with others on an initiative on the Hill to develop a Bill to legislate a federal anti-poverty strategy which has the support of MP's from several parties. The support of FCM for this work will help move that process along. The House of Commons has already passed a resolution last November asking the HUMA Committee (their social services standing committee) to work on the strategy.

Our Council, having done their own Strategy in collaboration with the community, is in a unique position to push this resolution at FCM  since they are already walking the walk and talking the talk. Please let them know how important it is to support this resolution.

Thanks,

Linda.