[homeles_ot-l] Red Tent Canada Day of Action Oct 19 + poster

Lynne Browne lbrowne at ysb.on.ca
Fri Oct 1 12:42:41 EDT 2010

Please circulate

Hello Listserv Members:

The ATEH Steering Committee is very excited to be partnering on the Red Tent Canada Day of Action and Chair Marion Wright and Vice-Chair Dan Sabourin have asked that I share their request for help.

*      Can you think about creative ways to get several car loads of people from your agency - Board members, people you are working with, your staff and anyone else you're involved with in the general community ­ - out to the Hill for the Red Tent Canada Day of Action.

The Red Tent Canada Day of Action kicks off in Ottawa at 9:30am with a press conference in the Charles-Lynch Room in the centre bloc of parliament. Then, we will gather on Parliament Hill, where 100 red tents will stand as symbols of Canada's homelessness crisis and the growing support for a federal housing strategy.  We will end the morning with a procession to the Prime Minister's house on Sussex Drive, red tents in hand.

*      Please let us know about the ways you will help. Others may want to use your approach. A poster is attached.

Thanks for your help making sure Ottawa has a huge crowd on the Hill!

Lynne Browne

On Behalf of Marion Wright and Dan Sabourin

P.S. There are two ways to look at Oct 19th. One, we're all too busy with the Municipal Election to get people there Oct 19th. OR . . .  finally, finally, homelessness and housing have gained traction at last! We need to engage the folks we're mobilizing with locally around affordable housing, it can only help!

Red Tent Canada Day of Action

For a Federal Housing Strategy

October 19th, 2010

Canada is currently the only G8 country without a National Housing Strategy. The result has been a housing and homelessness crisis that the United Nations described in a 2009 report as a national emergency.

A solution is within our reach, but it is going to take all levels of government, Aboriginal communities, and civil society coming together to develop a comprehensive housing strategy to address homelessness. With Bill C-304, an Act to ensure secure, adequate, accessible and affordable housing for Canadians, set to go before Parliament for a final vote at the end of October, we have an opportunity for a federal housing strategy that could meet the diverse needs of communities across Canada.  The NDP and the Liberals are supporting the Private Member's Bill, but they don't have enough votes to pass it alone.

On October 19th, join the Red Tent Campaign in calling on Conservative and Bloc Quebecois MPs to make a commitment to ensuring everyone in Canada has access to safe and affordable housing by supporting Bill C-304.

We will kick off the Day of Action in Ottawa at 9:30am with a press conference in the Charles-Lynch Room in the centre bloc of parliament. Then, we will gather on Parliament Hill, where 100 red tents will stand as symbols of Canada's homelessness crisis and the growing support for a federal housing strategy.  We will end the day with a procession to Sussex Drive, red tents in hand.

Simultaneous actions are set to take place across the country on the 19th and during the week leading up to our Canada Day of Action. Look for red tents this October in:

Halifax                                                  Regina                                                                  Toronto

Moncton                                             Edmonton                                                           Victoria

Ottawa                                                 Vancouver                                                          Winnipeg

To find out more about the Bill C-304 and the red tent campaign, or to help pitch in by sponsoring a tent, visit us at www.redtents.org <http://www.redtents.org/>

To find out about actions in your community, or if you want to help organize a local action in solidarity with the day of action on the 19th, get in touch with us at housingnow at redtents.org

We have been without a federal housing strategy for too long. It's time for people across the country to stand up and tell the government that Canada needs a real housing plan today!

Red Tent is a joint campaign effort of more than 20 housing and homelessness organizations, including: Pivot Legal Society <http://www.pivotlegal.org/> , CWP Advocacy Network <http://www.cwp-csp.ca/> , ACORN Canada <http://www.acorncanada.org/> , Impact on Communities Coalition <http://iocc.ca/> , the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario <http://www.acto.ca/> , Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa <http://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca/> , et le Front d'action populaire en réaménagement urbain <http://www.frapru.qc.ca/>  (FRAPRU)

Lynne Browne

Coordinator, Alliance to End Homelessness

lbrowne at ysb.on.ca <mailto:lbrowne at ysb.on.ca>

Office: 613-241-1573, ext. 205 (Temp. # )

Mail to: 147 Besserer St., Ottawa, ON K1N 6A7

www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca <http://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca>

ATEH on Facebook HERE <http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Alliance-to-End-Homelessness-Ottawa/136029386442398?v=wall&ref=ts>  &

on Twitter HERE @endhomelessOTT <https://twitter.com/endhomelessOTT>