[homeles_ot-l] Possibility of mail strike - some benefit cheques won't be delivered

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Sat May 21 12:54:28 EDT 2011

Hi Marion,

My apologies, I should have made my message more clear - I have no issue with CUPW and support the right to strike very strongly. I very much appreciate that CUPW's commitment to the community includes the offer to all levels of government to ensure that those dependent on various types of income supports are protected from the actions of Canada Post at the bargaining table. On a local level, CUPW has always worked with us on social justice issues and been a strong supporter nationally.

What happened was that I found out indirectly that some income support providers, including the City of Ottawa where I live, are opting out of having social assistance cheques delivered by CUPW in the event of a strike. Most social agencies, community organizations and housing providers in this area were not aware of this and so weren't preparing for the problems that will inevitably arise when people can't get to the cheque pick-up locations.

At the end of the month, most people don't have spare bus fares lying around or money to pay a sitter so they can go and stand in line for hours to get their cheques. It was suggested to me that, to avoid the line-ups, people could wait till the end of the week when it would go faster. It wasn't explained how the family was supposed to eat in the meantime or pay their rent.

My intention was to alert people on assistance and folks that have contact with them or with service agencies so they could prepare for the possibility of a cheque not coming to the door. I'm very sorry if it came across as anti-union or non-supportive of the collective bargaining process. That's definitely not my personal position.

I should also have specifically recognized CUPW for doing their best to ensure that people don't suffer from Canada Post's long-standing bargaining practices and for all the work that you do in communities across the country to support social justice work.

Linda.