[homeles_ot-l] URGENT - 1)McGuinty - OW and ODSP to be frozen/Child Benefit increases slowed; 2) Budget Watch??

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 20:40:48 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

This just in - Dalton McGuinty has just issued some pretty clear instructions to the Social Assistance Review Commission about the direction their final report should take in June.

He has announced that Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program rates will be FROZEN and the rate of increase to the Ontario Child Benefit will be slowed.

I don't have many more details at the moment but will send them on when I get them.

The provincial budget comes out on Tuesday and this will be part of it. Does anyone know if there is a budget watch being planned for the social service/health/education/etc sector? If not, is there interest in doing one? I'm not sure it will be televised but will be checking into that.

For those not familiar with the concept of a budget watch, people get together in a room with a television and watch the budget speech together. We advise the press that we are doing it and that they will be able to find spokepeople on various issues onsite. We then identify the people who will speak on behalf of a particular sector. It also gives us a chance to look at what's in the budget, discuss it together and, if appropriate, look at what the community wants to do.

As you probably know, the federal budget comes out on Thursday.

Linda.

Please forgive me if you get this more than once - I'm sending it out as quickly as I can and may cover some of you twice. L.