[homeles_ot-l] Update on childcare and bus fare for Monday's Poverty Reduction Strategy Consultation

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 24 00:02:47 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

Well, I finally got a response at 3 pm Friday afternoon to the question I sent on Monday afternoon to the organizers of next Monday's consultation. There was no specific mention of bus fare or childcare reimbursement in their announcement so I asked. I've included part of the response below so you know I'm not making it up.

Basically, if you need child care, dependent care or bus ticket expenses reimbursed so you can attend this event, you will be given a form to fill out which you then need to mail to Toronto and they will reimburse you within 30 days of receiving your request. If your childcare is less than $35, you don't need a receipt; if it's between $35 and $75, you need a receipt signed by the caregiver; $75 is the maximum they will reimburse.

I have pointed out to them that it's near the end of the month, that they only gave a week's notice of the event, that the topic of the day is reducing poverty, not creating it and that many people are gearing up for back-to-school and have no money. I wonder how useful a Poverty Reduction Strategy will be when it's created by folks whose understanding of the reality of low-income living allows them to think this is okay.

I will try and scrounge some bus tickets but unfortunately, between 3 pm Friday and noon on Monday, it's not going to be possible for OPRN to do anything about covering childcare. I know that will limit participation for some people but we have no way around it.

For those who are unable to attend, there will be some discussion of the Poverty Reduction Strategy at OPRN's Community Forum on September 25th. The focus was to have been the Social Assistance Review Commission's recommendations and the Minimum Wage Review but we will be expanding the agenda to include the Poverty Reduction Strategy . The Forum will be at the Richelieu Vanier Centre at 300 des Peres-Blancs from 8:30 to 12:30. More details will be sent out shortly.
See some of you Monday or on the 25th,

Linda.

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. ~ Jane Goodall

"With respect to your questions regarding bus fare and child care expenses as they relate to the Poverty Reduction Strategy consultation session in Ottawa on Monday, August 26th – we are pleased to inform you that we can reimburse the cost of bus fare for consultation attendees as well as the actual cost incurred for child or dependent care up to a daily maximum allowable limit of $75.00 per day with a caregiver’s receipt or $35.00 per day with a written explanation and no receipt.
To be reimbursed for bus fare and eligible child or dependent care expenses you will be required to complete and sign aStatement of Traveling/General Expenses for NON-OPS Employeesand submit it to the Ministry along with the original caregiver’s receipt (not a photocopy) or written explanation documenting the child or dependent care expense. Please note that a credit card slip showing payment is insufficient to support a claim for reimbursement.  We will have the statement form at the consultation on Monday and can help you through the process.
Expense claims can be sent to xxxxxfor processing at the following address: xxxxxxxx, Toronto.  Please note that reimbursement may take up to 30 days from the day we receive your expense claim."