[homeles_ot-l] Carling Avenue CIP - Carling Family Shelter

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 14:16:33 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

The Finance & Economic Development Committee at the City will be looking at a report on Tuesday September 3rd at 9:30 which recommends providing incentives to property owners along Carling between Pinecrest and Bayshore. This is the area around the Colisseum movie theatre.

It also includes the Carling Family Shelter property. I thought that the City purchased that property when they established the Shelter but, if it's municipally-owned, I would expect the property to be excluded from the CIP district. This is a fairly large property with the potential to support a more commercially-attractive development than a Shelter. I don't believe that it is in the City's or the community's interest to potentially put the Shelter at risk and would like to see it removed from the area covered by the CIP. As most of you know, establishing a shelter is never easy and this property is both an essential City service and is serving the community well.

If the City owns the property, there may be no reason for concern although there is then no need to include it in the CIP. If the City doesn't own it, it should be excluded from the CIP to protect the ongoing use of the property as a family shelter. The message below went to Mark Taylor both as the ward councillor for the Shelter and as Chair of the Community & Protective Services Committee. He also sits on FEDCO and I've copied the other members of that Committee.

Unfortunately, because the FEDCO agenda only was sent out after 2 pm on Friday and I was out at a meeting then, I only saw it this afternoon which means that many of you will only get this message on Tuesday morning. However, if FEDCO does approve it, it still has to go to Council - not that anything is likely to change there but ...

Linda.

What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. ~ Jane Goodall