[homeles_ot-l] Carling Avenue CIP - Carling Family Shelter

Taylor, Mark Mark.Taylor at ottawa.ca
Sat Aug 31 14:38:48 EDT 2013

Good afternoon Linda

Thank you for the email.

A short answer to your question is: Yes, the shelter property is owned by the City and therefore not in any danger of development by an outside land holder.

To be candid as well, along with the economic development branch and our GM of Community and Social Services Aaron Burry, I have had significant discussions with my CPSC Chair hat on about the future of the shelter programs  at this location (and in general). Although we have no plans as of yet for this location, we do realize that our shelter service needs evolving in a way that's best for residents living within them. We will continue to work on this and through the social services side come to a work plan regarding Carling avenue shelter.

Regardless of what the future holds however for the Carling shelter site, I believe if you read the report particularly around the goals section, it is clear that our intent isn't just to 'flip' the strip but to revitalize it for newcomers as well as the population already in place.

Through all our work, and mine as local Councillor it became clear that providing decent walkable local employment and training opportunities for residents living nearby was going to be a key to their success. This plan helps address that and in fact we have been working with the local Community Health and Resource Centre to ensure as we move forward we dedicate ourselves to; rather than displace, current residents. I want this area to become a breeding ground for life success, as do my residents.

By combining the goals of good living with good business we feel we can leverage a renewal of this neighbourhood area that has been lacking for near 50 years.

Hope that provides some additional insight. Please feel free to share as you wish and always happy to speak with other Alliance partners.

MT

Mark Taylor
Ottawa City Councillor for Bay Ward
Chair, Community & Protective Services Committee
613-580-2477 Ph
BayWardLive.ca<http://BayWardLive.ca>