[homeles_ot-l] Invitation - Broadening the Base Innovation Workshops (free!)

Mike Bulthuis mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Fri Oct 3 12:05:49 EDT 2014

Join us for two (free) innovation workshops (registration info below)

. as we consider approaches towards Broadening the Base of resources to
create 1,000 new affordable homes in Ottawa.

Ottawa is a caring community, and together, we have made progress towards
adding to our affordable housing in many parts of the community. Yet,
critical gaps remain. It's time to foster a community conversation on
innovative approaches to enhance availability of affordable housing.  What
tools might be available? What might we learn from elsewhere?

Wednesday October 15, 2014: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

Location: Beaver Barracks, 464 Metcalfe

The Overall Picture: How might we create 1,000 units? Where might the land
be? What kind of housing projects could we develop? Speakers will reflect on
a variety of project types, from mixed housing to land trusts, from private
development to non-profit housing.

Speakers:

.         Randal Goodfellow (Broadening the Base); Dennis Carr (CAHDCO);
Graeme Hussey (CCOC); Saide Sayah (City of Ottawa); others may be added.

Wednesday October 29, 2014: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

Location: Beaver Barracks, 464 Metcalfe

Financial Mechanisms & Philanthropy: Developing 1,000 units will require
substantial financial capital, some borrowed and some philanthropy. What are
some potential mechanisms / approaches?

Speakers:

.         Chris Henderson (Broadening the Base); Tim Brodhead; Norm Tasevski
(Purpose Capital); James McGregor (Montreal R-REIT); Tessa Hebb (Carleton
University)

Registration / Information:

 <mailto:mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca> mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca (tel:
613-241-1573 x 314)

Broadening the Base conveners: Randal Goodfellow, Chris Henderson, Val
Hinsperger, Graeme Hussey, Mike Bulthuis

Mike Bulthuis

Executive Director

Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa

171 George Street, Ottawa ON K1N 5W5