[homeles_ot-l] On October 19, let's vote Housing for All!

Mike Bulthuis mike at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Thu Oct 8 14:32:02 EDT 2015

*On October 19, let’s vote Housing for All!*

We’re 11 days from Canada's federal election (advance polls open
tomorrow!), and housing partners from across the country have compiled
helpful overviews and party comparisons of what our federal political
parties are saying about housing and homelessness.

You may agree or disagree with some of the analyses (none are endorsed in
their entirety by the Alliance) -- but we wanted you to know they exist.
One thing we need is for everyone to *Vote Housing for All!  *

*For example, check out: *

   - the Homeless Hub’s ‘Housing and Homelessness Federal Election Guide
   2015′ <http://www.homelesshub.ca/ElectionGuide2015>
   - the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ (FCM) Policy Tracker on federal
   party platforms as they relate to housing and homelessness
   <http://hometownproud.fcm.ca/policy_tracker> (listed under the Livable
   Hometowns tab).
   - the Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)’s Report Card
   <http://yourlegalrights.on.ca/news/acto-report-card-what-federal-parties-say-they-will-do-about-affordable-housing>
   on what federal parties say they will do about affordable housing.

And, for a quick overview of what’s at stake, watch a short video on the
affordable housing crisis <http://housing4all.ca/housing-for-all-video>,
created by the Canadian Housing and Renewal Association.

These resources, and a number of others, are all available on our special
Election Page, found here: http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/election2015/

*Did you know?  *

   - Here in Ottawa, we have a ten-year housing plan, with a clear goal to
   end long-term homelessness. *For meaningful progress, we need strong
   federal leadership.*
   - Here in Ottawa, longer periods of homelessness are a troubling trend.
   In 2014, over 6500 individuals slept at an Ottawa emergency shelter; among
   them, the average length of stay rose to 77 nights from a previous high of
   73 in 2013 (see the Alliance Progress Report for details
   <http://endhomelessnessottawa.ca/2014-progress-report/>).
   - Here in Ottawa, longer periods of homelessness point to an acute
   shortage of affordable housing options in Ottawa. In 2014, 136 new
   affordable units were opened – while over 10,200 households ended the year
   on the community’s wait list for subsidized housing. In fact, according to
   the Canadian Rental Housing Index, of Ottawa’s 115,000 renter households,
   19% (representing over 21,000 households) are spending more than 50% on
   rent and utilities - forcing households to make choices between rent,
   healthy food and other household necessities, and limiting their capacity
   to helping build a strong and prosperous Canada.

We believe that dedicated funding to create housing solutions is a
cost-effective response to homelessness and housing vulnerability -
reinforcing investments in training, education and health (for example) -
and reducing costs in emergency responses and social services. Federal
investment in affordable housing has dropped over the last 25 years — at
the same time as Canada’s population has increased. It’s time to reverse
the trend. It's time for the federal government to reinvest in Canada’s
affordable housing. It’s time for a national housing strategy.

*On October 19, Vote Housing for All! *

--
*Mike Bulthuis*
Executive Director