[homeles_ot-l] Support Don't Punish Day of Action-Thursday June 23rd

Sarah Brown SBrown at centretownchc.org
Fri Jun 17 11:10:19 EDT 2016

*feel free to share widely*

Support Don't Punish
Global Day of Action 2016
Thursday June 23 2016
11:00am - 1:00pm
Minto Park (Elgin between Gilmour and Lewis)
https://www.facebook.com/events/469585019913220/

Once again Ottawa will join people in over 100 cities around the world that believe "the harms caused by the war on drugs can no longer be ignored."  This is the fourth annual global Support Don't Punish<http://www.supportdontpunish.org/> day of action, growing from 41 cities in 2013 to over 160 in 2015.  Each city takes their own issues and actions under the umbrella of ending the war on drugs across the globe.

In Ottawa this year we will be calling attention to the need for a 'Good Samaritan Policy'.  A Good Samaritan Policy is when there's a written rule that protects people from drug possession charges when calling and waiting for emergency services in an overdose situation.  We know that too often when someone overdoses people nearby hesitate or don't call emergency health services for fear of being charged by police.  Let's legalize supporting our friends in emergency situations.

At the federal level, there is currently proposed legislation to make a Good Samarian Policy apply across the country.  Help us educate and show support for this legislation at our event on June 23, 2016.

Locally, we would like Ottawa Police Services to implement a written policy where police officers will not automatically be sent to overdose 911 calls, and that drug possession charges will not be laid in overdose situations.

Join us in supporting our community of people who use drugs in Ottawa and around the world!