[homeles_ot-l] Great new free on-line resource helps with legal problems

Linda O'Neil loneil at cmhaottawa.ca
Wed Feb 1 17:16:30 EST 2017

·         Got a question about the law? There's a site for that . . . .
·
What can happen if I'm behind in my rent?
Can I sue my former employer in court?
What happens if I call the police about my abusive partner?
What are my rights if the police approach me and ask questions?
A new website called stepstojustice.ca<http://stepstojustice.ca/>  has the answers.

"It's sort of like an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) of law," says Paul Schabas, the treasurer of the Law Society of Upper Canada. "It's a great resource, especially when you know you are getting answers from reputable institutions in the justice system."
The website, which launches Wednesday, is the work of Community Legal Education Ontario, in conjunction with the Ministry of the Attorney General, the Law Society of Upper Canada, Legal Aid Ontario, the courts and community legal clinics across the province.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/01/18/got-a-question-about-the-law-theres-a-site-for-that--.html

Steps to Justice is a first-of-its-kind initiative that empowers people in Ontario to understand and take action to deal with their legal problems. It gives comprehensive online information on common legal problems that people experience in family, housing, employment and other areas of law.
Steps to Justice:
·         equips people to work through their legal problems through easy-to-understand steps
·         includes practical tools, such as checklists, fillable forms, and self-help guides
·         gives referral information for legal and social services across Ontario
·         has live chat and email-based support for users with additional questions

Linda O'Neil
Public Education Consultant
Conseillère en éducation communautaire

Capacity Building and Education Division
Division de l'éducation et la mobilisation communautaire

Canadian Mental Health Association, Ottawa Branch
Association canadienne pour la santé mentale, Section d'Ottawa
301-1355 rue Bank Street, Ottawa, ON    K1H 8K7
Tel: 613-737-7791 Ext. 135     Fax: 613-737-7644   Cell: 613-552-4505
Email: loneil at cmhaottawa.ca<mailto:loneil at cmhaottawa.ca> Website: ottawa.cmha.ca<http://www.cmhaottawa.ca/>

[accredsig.png]