[homeles_ot-l] Consultation on Feds' Poverty Reduction Strategy, May 31st, Overbrook Comm Ctre, 33 Quill St, Ottawa - please circulate

Linda Lalonde linda_lalonde_ottawa at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 22:47:50 EDT 2017

PleaseCirculate This to Your Networks!HiFolks,Tellthe federal government how to reduce poverty in Canada! The OttawaPoverty Reduction Network (OPRN)needsyour input. Asyou may know, the federal government is looking at developing aPoverty Reduction Strategy in the near future and is consultingpeople about what that would look like. They are doing that primarilyvia an on-line survey but there is also an option of an in-personconsultation. They have contracted the Tamarack Institute to getconsultations done in up to 30 communities across Canada throughtheir Vibrant Communities - Cities Reducing Poverty initiative whichOttawa is part of with the OPRN as lead.Whatwould make a difference in our community? What do we need to improve?What do we need to get rid of? What could the feds do to reducepoverty? We'reholding two sessions on May 31st, one from 1 to 4 pm andthe second from 6:30 to 9:30 pm to get your opinion. Both sessionsare the same so you only need to attend one and the evening sessionhas limited space so please come in the afternoon if you can. They will be at the Overbrook Community Centre, 33 Quill St, Ottawa.Registrationis at:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/speaking-of-poverty-reduction-and-our-community-consultation-tickets-34677440157Thisevent is free but we will accept donations of bus tickets and othersupport. As we get more bus tickets, the number of "Tickets withbus fare" will increase. Bus tickets for participants will beavailable at the event if requested in advance - please choose theticket that includes bus fare. The #18 bus comes to the Centre fromSt Laurent Station and the Rideau Centre and stops right outside onQuill at Queen Mary.Thereis parking behind the Centre and on surrounding streets.Areport will be provided to all participants and the federalgovernment following the event.Ifyou want to do some prep, take a look at the Dignity for All NationalAnti-Poverty Plan which will give you some background and ideas. It'sat: https://dignityforall.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/DignityForAll_Report.pdf.Wehope that you can join us and guide the federal government towards apoverty reduction strategy that will work.Lookingforward to seeing you there!Linda. “Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.” - Herman Melville