[homeles_ot-l] FW: End Drug Prohibition Now: Mobilizing a day of action in Ottawa

Lynette Schick lynette.schick at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:05:52 EDT 2017

End Drug Prohibition Now: Mobilizing a day of action in Ottawa

Collective Resistance to Injustice (CRI) is a group of individuals composed
of front line workers, advocates, substance users (both active and in
recovery), friends, loved ones, and others who stand in solidarity with
those impacted by the current opiate overdose crisis. We are based out of
Coast Salish occupied territories of the shared traditional territories of
the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), Tsleil-Waututh, and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm
(Musqueam) First Nations.

We are organizing a demonstration in Oppenheimer Park to pay homage to the
action of community and founding members of the Vancouver Area Network of
Drug Users (VANDU) that occurred 20 years ago (September 1997).
In preparation for the day of action (Planned for: September 29 2017 on
Coast Salish territories) we will cut and paint 2,224 wooden stakes, to
represent the deaths that have occurred in British Columbia over the last 3
years (which echos the demonstration that occurred in 1997). These symbols
will be decorated and painted by community members on the weekend of
September 23rd.

On the day of action we will set up letter writing stations where folks who
attend can express their concerns, frustrations and grief. The letters
 will have a condensed list of policy changes and service expansion asks on
the back. These letters will be placed in a black painted coffin that will
be transported across canada along side the wooden stakes.
As we pass through various cities on our way to Ottawa, we would like to
connect with local communities who can organize similar letter writing
campaigns or similar wooden stakes that can be added and transported to
Ottawa.
For communities that are not enroute to Ottawa from BC, we welcome and ask
letters to be mailed or emailed to us so that we can print them out and add
them as well. We want to ensure that communities across Canada are
represented and included in this demonstration.

Moreover, we are seeking folks in Ottawa and Montreal to support in
mobilizing locally for the day of Action in Ottawa set for October 10th
2017.

We are connecting with you as we recognize the important and pivotal work
that you have done in your immediate community and would like to see if you
have capacity to participate. We are currently fundraising to build and
transport material across the country and would be honoured to be able to
meet, witness, listen, and carry your symbols with us.

If this is something you feel you or your organization/collective would be
interested in participating and mobilizing for please contact us at:
Vancouver.cri at gmail.com so that we can exchange contacts and provide you
with a timeline of when we will be in your area.

Our event is set to occur on September 29th 2017 and we plan on leaving for
Ottawa shortly after this event, aiming to deliver the symbols to Ottawa
for Tuesday October 10th 2017.

Facebook Event: https://tinyurl.com/ybxykgvx

Thank you for your time,

In solidarity