[homeles_ot-l] We need your help with Ottawa's first ever Poverty Challenge!

Kaite Burkholder Harris kaite at edu.yorku.ca
Wed Apr 25 16:54:17 EDT 2018

Want to make a difference on housing & homelessness in Ottawa?

Then help us deepen the understanding of the Ottawa community about the challenges of living in poverty.

In partnership with the Impact Hub Ottawa, the Alliance to End Homelessness, University of Ottawa's Centre for Research on Educational and Community Services (CRECS), United Way Ottawa, and a team of volunteers from Shopify, Initial PR, and Carleton, we are launching a Civic Leadership Series on Housing & homelessness and we need your help.

Our launch starts with a one day simulation experience called The Poverty Challenge on Saturday, May 12th from 9 -3 pm, in which participants "walk a day in the life" of someone experiencing poverty navigating the complex array of services and systems, based on a profile of someone living in urban poverty. Jesse Thistle, who developed the definition of Indigenous Homelessness, will be the keynote speaker.?

Volunteers are trained to play the roles of employees of social service agencies and are set up in realistic-looking offices. In a simulation activity, the participants attempt to solve personal challenges by visiting the service agencies staffed by the volunteers.

This event depends on volunteers to pull it off. We need 50 motivated people to help simulate more than a dozen social service agencies that participants will engage with during the challenge. By volunteering you'll be increasing awareness and understanding about issues people living in poverty face everyday in our city.

Please register here for an orientation session on May 7 and 8:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-poverty-challenge-training-session-for-volunteers-2018-registration-44390644613?aff=eivtefrnd?

We hope you can join our team of volunteers!

____
Kaite Burkholder Harris
Community Planning Officer| Pronoun: she/her
Canadian Observatory on Homelessness
York University | 629 Kaneff Tower | 4700 Keele Street | Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
416-736-2100 | www.homelesshub.ca<http://homelesshub.ca/> | @homelesshub<https://twitter.com/homelesshub> | facebook.com/homelesshub <https://www.facebook.com/homelesshub>

The Canadian Observatory on Homelessness acknowledges that Toronto-York lands are the traditional Indigenous territory of the Wendat, the Haudenosaunee, the Anishinabek, and the Mississaugas of the New Credit. The Métis also had a historic presence here, but Toronto is not traditional Métis territory. The COH also recognizes the presence of contemporary Indigenous Peoples in Toronto-York as these territories were historically, and continue to be, a meeting place for many Indigenous nations.