[homeles_ot-l] Herongate Legal Defence Fund

Herongate Tenant Coalition herongatetc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:54:33 EDT 2018

*DONATE NOW TO THE HERONGATE LEGAL DEFENCE FUND
<https://www.gofundme.com/herongate-legal-defence-fund>*
On Friday, August 10, our lawyer, Daniel Tucker-Simmons from Avant Law,
sent a letter to Timbercreek giving them notice that we are gearing up for
a human rights case to STOP THE EVICTIONS.

But we will only have a chance if we raise enough money.

Donate now to our GoFundMe Legal Defence Fund or email herongatetc at gmail.com
<herongatetc at gmail.com?subject=Legal%20Defence%20Fund> for details on how
to donate via cheque or cash in person or directly to our bank account.

https://www.gofundme.com/herongate-legal-defence-fund

*We need your help—we’re fighting an uphill battle and this is a critical
moment for us.*

In as little as 2 months, over 500 of our neighbours in Herongate will be
facing eviction. We’re up against one of the country's largest corporate
landlords, Timbercreeek Asset Management, who has filed notices to
terminate the tenancy of tenants from approximately 150 three- and
four-bedroom townhomes, on the grounds of demolition.

*Background on Herongate*

In 2012, Timbercreek purchased 23 hectares of private rental housing in
Herongate—a working class neighbourhood in South Ottawa—becoming the owner
of one of the largest, rental clusters in the country. The first round of
evictions took place in the winter of 2016, when 80 units were demolished
and families were torn from their homes, to make way for upscale
“resort-style” apartments. In the Spring of this year, they informed the
tenants of 150 homes they would be next. But this time, the neighbourhood
organized.

Today, hundreds of working class tenants across Herongate have joined the
coalition, including labourers, union members, homemakers, students, and
children. We’re standing together, united. We’re fighting back. We’re
defending our homes. We’re defending Herongate. As workers, we must have
each other’s backs on the job; as tenants, we must have each other’s backs
in our neighbourhoods.

*What’s next?*

Timbercreek has requested that tenants move out by September 30, 2018. But
anytime before or after that date, the landlord has the option of filing
for eviction at the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB). This means, that as
early as this fall we may find ourselves before the LTB with dozens upon
dozens of high-stake eviction hearings that need to be fought—and won.
There are also a number of other legal defence strategies that are being
considered, depending on our financial capacity.

*Our ask to you*

In order to have the finances to support a fully operational legal team,
the Herongate Legal Defence Fund must raise thousands of dollars in
grassroots donations in the coming weeks. A financial gift of any amount is
greatly appreciated, and will help us sustain our fight to defend Herongate.

*From our neighbourhood to yours—thank you.*
About Herongate Tenant Coalition

The Herongate Tenant Coalition is a working class tenant association that
formed in the spring of 2018 to save their neighbourhood from one of the
largest mass evictions in recent history. They were founded on a single
message: “We are not moving.”