[homeles_ot-l] Discovery University Winter 2018 Application

Aneesha Sidhu asidhu at ottawamission.com
Tue Jan 9 11:50:56 EST 2018

Hello,

My name is Aneesha Sidhu and I am the program coordinator for the Discovery University program run through the Ottawa Mission.  Discovery University is a free, non-credit, university-level program for persons who are experiencing homelessness or living on a low income. Through the study of humanities, the program helps to foster a new sense of citizenship and a commitment to learning and critical thinking. Professors from the University of Ottawa, Carleton University, and Saint Paul University teach the courses on campus at the University of Ottawa.

Discovery University helps to:

  *   strengthen self-esteem and self-confidence;
  *   encourage reflection, critical thinking and problem-solving;
  *   develop communication skills;
  *   develop relationships of mutual respect; and
  *   determine desire for further education.

Our learning environment is:

  *   learner-centered;
  *   participatory;
  *   collaborative;
  *   positive; and
  *   supportive.

Applicants must:

o   be at least 18 years of age;

o   be experiencing homelessness or living on a low income;

o   be willing to learn and study; and

o   have stable mental health and addictions under control.
Student expectations are to:

o   commit to 5-7 hours a week of study (includes 2 hours of class time and 1.5 hours of tutorial time);

o   read the assigned readings before each class;

o   attend weekly class; and

o   be free of alcohol and street drugs when attending.
Discovery University also provides:

o   tutor support;

o   light snacks and refreshments in class; and

o   a hot dinner during tutor sessions.
I am pleased to announce that the Discovery University Winter 2018 application is now available. There will be three courses taught in the Winter 2018  term.  Please note that the deadline for submission is Friday, January 12, 2018.  I have attached the PDF copies of the application forms and supporting documents.  It is also available through the Ottawa Mission website at https://ottawamission.com/discovery-university-application/.

The three courses that will be taught are:

“Introduction to Leadership Studies” taught by Claire Delisle of The University of Ottawa:
Leadership affects everyone. It is present in all our lives. In this class, students will explore different ways of understanding leadership. James McGregor Burns first published his major text Leadership in 1978, and since that time, the field of Leadership Studies has become a discipline of its own. With over 250 Leadership Studies in the US and half a dozen in Canada, the study of leadership has become a vibrant and ever evolving field of study. Students will look at different ways to approach the study of leadership and explore its relational, transformational, situational, social identity, collective, charismatic, emotional and ethical dimensions. A lecture format will be used with video clips to highlight issues, and class discussion to deepen the understanding of leadership and what styles and approaches make it effective. Real-life situations will be drawn upon of different leaders in order to excavate different theories of leadership and examine some of the challenges of being a “leader”. Leadership will also be thought about and how it is practiced in different settings and in everyday life.  Discussions around toxic leadership as well as examining the role of emotions in leading will take place. A dialogical approach will be used in which students are provided with a space to share, and are invited to contribute to knowledge discovery by bringing their experiences and ideas to bear on the subject under discussion.
“The Psychology of Performance” taught by Matthew Sorley of Carleton University:
Psychology can help us understand how high-level performers reach the top of their profession. This course considers how psychological factors influence outcomes across sport, exercise, and other performance environments. A focus is placed on understanding how successful performers create conditions that bring themselves closer to realizing their potential. Topics include self-confidence, goal-setting, imagery, arousal regulation, coaching and leadership, and team dynamics. We’ll also examine the psychological characteristics of peak performance, how athletes experience and recover from injuries, and how participation influences physical and mental health. Readings will strike a balance between theory, research, and application. After completing the course, students will leave with a deeper understanding of performance excellence.
“Letters from Winters of Yesteryear” taught by Clinton Archibald of St. Paul University:
This special winter course will provide students an opportunity to be exposed to some important speeches/deeds/actions of major public figures. Students – as equal partners with the professor – will have a rare occasion to think and talk about the impact those figures have had on our lives. In order to succeed, each student will have to:
·         Read each week a short text on one of the eight selected figures;
·         Analyze the main facts about the person’s life, his/her accomplishments and the relevance he/she has nowadays on our perceptions, behaviours or thoughts;
Think about the potential choices offered to all concerned to solve the mystery of their aura, gauge the conflict opposing those who believe and those who do not that each one of the personalities’ relevance is of the outmost importance, to share with other participants some ideas that are raised publicly (and some that are not raised) about these 8 major figures of our times.
I am wondering if you may be able to circulate the information and the attached application documents throughout your network so that I may be able to get the word out for any clients who may be interested in the program.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via phone or email.

Thank you and all the best,

[The Ottawa Mission Logo]

Aneesha Sidhu

Program Coordinator, Discovery University

T 613.914.4575 | F 613.234.2813 | asidhu at ottawamission.com

35 Waller Steet, Ottawa, ON K1N 7G4

Website<http://www.ottawamission.com/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ottawamission> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/OttawaMission>

Text MEAL to 45678 to donate $10 to The Ottawa Mission.*
*Terms available at MobileGiving.ca