[homeles_ot-l] Discovery University Winter 2019 Applications

Ann Elliott akazhikkachalil at ottawamission.com
Thu Jan 3 11:28:05 EST 2019

Hello,

And a very Happy New Year! My name is Ann Elliott and I am the Program Coordinator for the Discovery University program organized through The Ottawa Mission. Discovery University is a free, non-credit, university-level program for persons who are experiencing homelessness or living on a low income. Through the study of Humanities and Social Sciences, the program helps to foster a new sense of citizenship and a commitment to learning and critical thinking. Professors from the University of Ottawa, Carleton University, and Saint Paul University teach the courses on campus at the University of Ottawa.

Applicants must:

o   be at least 18 years of age;

o   be experiencing homelessness or living on a low income;

o   be willing to learn and study; and

o   have stable mental health and addictions under control.
Student expectations are to:

o   commit to 5-7 hours a week of study (includes 2 hours of class time and 1.5 hours of tutorial time);

o   read the assigned readings before each class;

o   attend weekly class and discussion group; and

o   be free of alcohol and street drugs when attending.
Discovery University also provides:

o   tutor support;

o   light snacks and refreshments in class; and

o   a hot dinner during discussion group.
Please note that the deadline for submission has now been extended to  Friday, January 11th, 2019 at 4:00pm.  I have attached the PDF copies of the application forms and supporting documents.  It is also available through the Ottawa Mission website at https://ottawamission.com/discovery-university-application/

The three courses that will be taught this term include:

"Is There Love at First Sight?"

Is there such a thing as love at first sight? What about smartphone addiction? Does money buy happiness? Is it better to be introverted or extroverted? Are millennials really all that different? Good science starts with good questions. This course attempts to address some of the most popular psychological questions by examining the evidence on how personal and social factors influence our thoughts, feelings, and behaviours. Sessions will include a consideration of human development, personality, health beliefs and behaviour, and social relationships. There will also be an opportunity for students to select questions that interest them the most. Students will discover that the answers are rarely simple and will leave with a more thoughtful approach to considering the psychological questions of the day.

You call that art? Philosophical reflections on the nature of art

This course examines theories of art as they pertain to the visual and performative arts. We will discuss what philosophers have had to say about painting, plays, as well as the performance arts. We will begin by reading some historical writings in the philosophy of art while also looking at more recent writings. The first question we ask and try to answer is: who decides what art is? Then we will explore the various ways in which art can be classified, such as imitating nature, as expressing feelings or simply as assembling random objects to confront the viewer. Throughout the semester, we will take into account new art forms, such as musical improvisation, rap and modern dance.  In addition to the analysis of what constitutes art, we will also examine creativity and authorship. We tend to understand authorship as involving only one person. However, is that always the case? What about collective authorship and what about artistic performances that involve group improvisation? To complement our readings, and to explore these questions more fully, we will watch videos that pertain to different types of artistic productions and we will visit a local art space.

Trying to be good: Moral Psychology and Moral Development
This course is about the way morality is studied in psychology. Many moral concepts are drawn from philosophy, but are studied scientifically. We will discuss what it means to try to be a good and moral person. Are we born good? What is the role of thinking and reasoning, and what about emotions and feelings? Does evolution work for or against us? How do people differ in the morality? Across ages?  Across cultures?

I am hoping you may be able to circulate the information and the attached application documents throughout your network so that the word gets out for any clients who may be interested in the program. If you know of any individuals that may be a good fit, please send them an application.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via phone or email.

Thank you and all the best,

[The Ottawa Mission Logo]

Ann Elliott

Program Coordinator, Discovery University

T 613.914.4575 | F 613.234.2813 | aelliott at ottawamission.com

35 Waller Street, Ottawa, ON, K1N 7G4

Website<http://www.ottawamission.com/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ottawamission> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/OttawaMission>

Text MEAL to 45678 to donate $10 to The Ottawa Mission.*
*Terms available at MobileGiving.ca