[homeles_ot-l] Ontario Temporarily Pauses Residential Evictions

Alliance To End Homelessness info at endhomelessnessottawa.ca
Thu Jan 14 10:55:40 EST 2021

FYI:
[image: Ontario Newsroom] [image: Ontario Newsroom]

News Release
Ontario Temporarily Pauses Residential Evictions
<http://news.ontario.ca/mma/en/2021/01/ontario-temporarily-pauses-residential-evictions.html?utm_source=ondemand&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=p>

January 14, 2021
Province takes action to help people stay home and prevent the spread of
COVID-19

TORONTO — The Ontario government has issued an emergency order to
temporarily pause the enforcement of residential evictions and ensure
people are not forced to leave their homes during the provincial
declaration of emergency and while the stay-at-home-order is in force.

"By temporarily pausing residential evictions, we are ensuring that all
Ontarians are able to stay home, stay safe, and save lives," said Steve
Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. "Our government will
ensure that residential evictions continue to be paused for the remainder
of the state of emergency, as long as it lasts."

This is the second time in less than a year that the province has paused
residential evictions. This emergency order will also protect homeowners
who are facing evictions due to court orders for possession of their
properties.

Since the onset of COVID-19, Ontario has introduced a number of measures to
protect tenants and provide supports to those most affected by the
pandemic, such as freezing rent
<https://www.ontario.ca/page/residential-rent-increases> so the vast
majority of Ontario's residential tenants will not see an increase this
year. Changes to the *Residential Tenancies Act* also require the Landlord
and Tenant Board to consider whether a landlord attempted to negotiate a
repayment agreement, before resorting to an eviction for non-payment of
rent during COVID-19.

"We're encouraging landlords and tenants to work together - as they have
been doing for the last several months - to ensure that we keep Ontarians
safe," said Minister Clark. "We want to remind tenants who can pay their
rent that they must continue to do so, to the best of their abilities."

The latest modelling trends
<https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Update-on-COVID-19-Projections_January-12-2021_Final_English.pdf>
in
key public health indicators have continued to worsen, forecasting an
overwhelming of the health system unless drastic action is taken. The pause
on residential evictions is one part of the province's plan to stop the
spread of COVID-19.

QUICK FACTS

   - The Landlord and Tenant Board will continue to hear eviction
   applications and issue orders, but the enforcement of eviction orders will
   be postponed for the duration of the emergency order, except in urgent
   situations – such as for illegal activity. This includes orders issued, but
   not carried out, before the emergency order came into effect.
   - The residential evictions pause is linked to the provincial
   declaration of emergency. The government will continue to extend the
   eviction pause to align with the declaration of emergency.
   - Ontario is investing $510 million through the Social Services Relief
   Fund
   <https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/59642/ontario-helps-municipalities-and-indigenous-partners-respond-to-covid-19>
   help communities protect the health and safety of vulnerable people during
   COVID-19.
   - If you are a tenant and your landlord has locked you out, or is
   threatening to lock you out, you can contact Ontario’s Rental Housing
   Enforcement Unit
   <https://www.ontario.ca/page/solve-disagreement-your-landlord-or-tenant> for
   help.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

   - Ontario Declares Second Provincial Emergency to Address COVID-19
   Crisis and Save Lives
   <https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/59922/ontario-declares-second-provincial-emergency-to-address-covid-19-crisis-and-save-lives>

   - Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues
   to protect the people of Ontario from COVID-19.
   <https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-ontario-is-responding-covid-19>

CONTACTS

Adam Wilson
Minister’s Office
Adam.Wilson at ontario.ca

Conrad Spezowka
Communications Branch
MMA.Media at ontario.ca

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
http://www.ontario.ca/municipalaffairsandhousing

--

*Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa*
171 George Street, Ottawa ON K1N 5W5