[Sust-mar] housekeeping - time to revise size limit?

Paul A Falvo pfalvo at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Dec 8 15:36:01 EST 2005

Sust-martians

I hate the occasional task of rejecting good messages. ALMOST ALWAYS the
reason is because they are too large.

I no longer weed out messages because they contain html. However, I still
encourage people to use plain text instead of html. Saves bandwidth and
means more people can read your message.

Our size limit for years has been 10K. Text messages almost never exceed
this. The only messages that exceed this generally are html emails and
emails with attachments.

I am writing to ask if this size limit is still appropriate. Do you
appreciate the 10K size limit? Do you want me to raise it? Remove it?

DIGEST SUBSCRIBERS are affected especially by this: you have to scroll past
long messages to get to messages following.

Almost 100 of our 300+ subscribers receive a digest every week or 10 days.
The digest release is size-based; so, longer messages mean a more frequent
digest.

DIAL-UP readers and those with other technical limitations are also
affected especially.

Please let me know your thoughts. I am a democrat!

Send your feedback either to me off-list or to the whole list.
~Paul