[Sust-mar] Sierra Club says END SUBSIDIES to Tar Sands!

Paul A Falvo pfalvo at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Oct 5 09:19:27 EDT 2005

OTTAWA (CP) - It's irresponsible for Ottawa to keep subsidizing new
tar-sands operations given the record profits the industry is making,
environmentalists say. At issue are tax breaks - environmentalists call
them subsidies - which were introduced when the price of oil was much
lower, and when the economics of tar sands extraction were much less
attractive than they are now.

[. . .]

"Who shall the government help - low-income seniors or tar sands?"
Elizabeth May asked at a news conference Monday. "I know who I would
choose."

[. . .]

C The Canadian Press 2005

Article edited sue to copyright.

For the FULL SIERRA CLUB PRESS RELEASE go to http://www.sierraclub.ca
and click on 'News'

~Paul
Keep Canada's North strong, free and pristine ...
... and keep Canada in Kyoto!
Sign on to the Mackenzie Wild Declaration
http://www.mackenziewild.ca

.....o
 _ < _
() / ()