[Sust-mar] hot green shopping picks - bikes/food/shoes/train travel

Paul A Falvo pfalvo at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Oct 24 08:21:50 EDT 2005

Some green shopping tidbits I've noticed ... including a limited time
offer from Via Rail for $99 Montreal-Halifax.

1. WINTER BICYCLES on sale at Jack Nauss cycle shop on Agricola. I'm
assuming that's a second hand bicycle specially built to withstand the
winter. In the NWT I use a one-speed hybrid with wide studded tires and
coaster brakes. DRIVE SAFELY, respect road conditions and be polite to SUV
drivers! (some of them are really out of shape ... :)

2. LOCAL & ORGANIC food now available downstairs from the Gradhouse - Food
for the Famished soups salads sandwiches. For info and catering
mailto:getfreshfoood at gmail.com

3. NO SWEAT sweatshop-free union made SHOES http://www.nosweatshop.com for
sale in Halifax at OUTSIDE THE LINES "Books for Critical Minds" at 6297
Quinpool Rd. While you're there, pick up the 2006 Peace Calendar from
Syracuse Cultural Workers.  Not cello-wrapped - yay!
mailto:oustsidethelines at ns.aliantzinc.ca

And finally, see below for how to get from Halifax to Montreal with far
less impact on the climate than driving or flying ... for less than $100.

If you find this sort of tip interesting -- send me your GREEN SHOPPING
tidbits and I will post them to sust-mar!
~Paul