[Sust-mar] Canada in Haiti: Book Launch

Stu Neatby stu.neatby at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:38:46 EDT 2005

Maritime-Wide Book Launch:
"Waging War on the Poor Majority: Canada in Haiti"
by Yves Engler and Anthony Fenton

Halifax Event (other dates below):

Friday, September 30, 7:00pm
Weldon Law Building, Dalhousie University,
6061 University Ave., Rm 104

Join Yves Engler for the Halifax launch of the newly published "Waging
War on the Poor Majority: Canada in Haiti" (Red/Fernwood Publishing),
co-authored by Yves Engler and Anthony Fenton. We will also present
exclusive video footage from the upcoming documentary "Haiti: The
Untold Story" by Haiti-based journalist Kevin Pina. Discounted copies
of "Canada in Haiti" will be available for sale. Find out what Canada
is doing in Haiti in our name. Organized by Haiti Action Halifax and
the Halifax Peace Coalition.

"The story of Haiti is one of resistance, of a spirit that exists
inside us all, to assert our essential humanity. Unfortunately the
story is also one of how much the rich and powerful feel threatened by
this spirit and how far they are prepared to go to crush it. While
Canadians prefer to see their government as a force for good in the
world, the reality is that it most often sides with the rich and
powerful. "Canada in Haiti" is a powerful cry for justice and a
warning about what can be done in our name when we aren't looking."

"In both their writings and activism, Yves Engler and Anthony Fenton
have done some of the most important work in exposing Canada's
shameful role in Haiti." -- Naomi Klein, author No Logo.

"Yves and Anthony's book is a crucial weapon in understanding, and
acting, on the paternalistic and neo-colonial role the Canadian
government, and its NGO allies, plays in Haiti." -- Jaggi Singh,
Montreal-area activist and writer.

"Most Canadians will find the revelations of this book shocking,
disturbing, revolting but absolutely undeniable. In graphic detail,
Fenton and Engler describe how, contrary to rhetoric, the neo-colonial
"responsibility to protect" doctrine has in fact translated into a
cynical and deadly socio-political experiment conducted on and against
Haitians." -- Jean Saint-Vil, Ottawa-based Haiti solidarity activist.

Tour Dates

Fredericton: September 27th at 7:00 PM
                   Presentation at UNB, Tilley Hall Auditorium, Rm 102

Charlottetown: September 29th at 2:30 PM
                   Presentation at UPEI, KC Irving Lecture Theatre
                   Sponsored by the Institute for Island Studies.

Halifax: September 30th at 7:00 PM
                   Presentation at Dalhousie, Weldon Law Building, Rm 104
	  Sponsored by the Halifax Peace Coalition and Haiti Action Halifax

Tatamagouche: October 2nd at 3:30 PM
 	  Presentation and Screening of Haiti: The Untold Story
                  At the Tatamagouche Centre

New Glasgow: October 3rd at 12 noon
                  Presentation at the New Glasgow Public Libray, Program Room

Antigonish: October 3rd at 7:00 PM
	  Presentation at the Coady Institute, Tin Room

Sydney: October 4th at 7:00 PM
	  Presentation at UCCB, CE 306.

See www.canadahaitiaction.ca or http://www.rabble.ca/whats_up.shtml
for full list of dates across Canada

--
Stuart Neatby
Mobilizing Youth to Deliver Advisory Services
stu.neatby at gmail.com