[Sust-mar] Invitation to Nova Scotians to join Thousand Eyes project

Flora Cordis Johnson wildwords at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 07:02:20 EDT 2006

Hi all,
Christopher Majka of the Nova Scotia Museum of Natural
History has asked me to pass on the following
invitation. Participating in this project a great way
to contribute to science while enjoying the natural
world. It would also be a great project to do with
kids. Plus, he's offering a free field guide!

Greetings!

Spring is on the way, and with it we would like to
extend an invitation to you to participate in the
Thousand Eyes Project! This pioneering project allows
citizens of Nova Scotia to participate in gathering of
information that can help scientists understand the
process of climate change. This is an opportunity for
Nova Scotians to contribute to the solution to a
matter of pressing global concern.

The Thousand Eyes Project is modeled on a similar
program established by Dr. Alexander McKay that ran in
Nova Scotia a hundred years ago. Between 1900 and
1923, thousands of people (primarily school students)
took part in a project to gather information on the
timing (phenology) of natural phenomena such as the
flowering of certain plants, the migration of birds,
frogs calling, and weather events. Thousands of
observations were compiled at the time. These are now
a gold mine of information which can help us to
understand the topic of climate change. We can now
compare the timing of natural events today with those
100 years ago. Thus Nova Scotia has a unique
opportunity to play a role in developing a global
understanding of climate change.

Now the Nova Scotia Museum (with our partners Climate
Change Action Fund and Ecological Monitoring and
Assessment Network) have re-established the Thousand
Eyes Project. Our project takes advantage of
cutting-edge computer and world-wide-web technology so
that anyone, anywhere throughout Nova Scotia who has
access to a computer and an Internet connection can
participate. Simply go to the Thousand Eyes Project at
http://www.thousandeyes.ca and register as a watcher.
There is complete information on the project, the
science of phenology, and how to observe and identify
the phenomena we are interested in monitoring.

We would like to issue a special invitation to the
members of the Sustainable Maritimes group to
participate in the project. We have printed copies of
our field guide available if you would like to
participate in the project. We would love to have your
contributions to the project. Simply visit
http://www.thousandeyes.ca, register and send an email
to the Thousand Eyes project coordinator, Christopher
Majka, at <c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca> with your mailing
address and we’ll send you a copy of the field guide.
[Note: the scope of the project is limited to NOVA
SCOTIA, so only observations from there can be
submitted.]

With best wishes,

Christopher Majka
Thousand Eyes project coordinator

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." (Henry David Thoreau)

So ... be wild!

Wild Flora
Birch Hill, Nova Scotia