[Sust-mar] peeps and the planet - conference - ottawa - june 2006 (fwd)

Paul A Falvo pfalvo at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Apr 24 11:48:49 EDT 2006

Why not leave the cars at home and take the train?

By train, we can cut our climate changing GHG emissions, save a
nonrenewable resource and support public transportation. Besides, the
train is fun. Imagine picking up peeps at every station along the way!

There is the ticket to pay for. But it stacks up favourably when you look
at the real cost of driving a car including the social cost. Plus, when
we arrive in Ottawa without a car we'll be less tempted to drive around!

I think Via Rail even has discounts for groups of ten or more people
 -- www.viarail.ca -- and there are rail passes and student discounts.

Too bad there isn't a travel equalisation scheme. I emailed the conference
organisers to ask if there might be some sort of discount offered by Via
Rail. Even if there isn't, you can get a group discount on your own for
groups traveling together, I am pretty sure.

~p :)