[Sust-mar] Upcoming events and TV programs from August 15

NSEN nsen at web.ca
Sun Aug 13 08:56:41 EDT 2006

Please circulate these upcoming events. Note: The Nova Scotia Environmental
Network (NSEN) events are free but require that participants RSVP in
advance. Thank you.

****************************

“Quenching the Fire or Fanning the Flames”
A panel discussion on Canada’s response to the current Israeli mission in
Lebanon and Gaza.
The first event in a 3-part public education series on the Middle East
crisis organized by the
Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG).
Featuring:
> Bruce Wark, Editor for The Coast magazine
> Alexa McDonough, Member of Parliament (Halifax)
> Larry Haiven, SMU Professor and member of Canadians,
Arabs, and Jews for a Just Peace in the Middle East
Tuesday, August 15th at 6:00 PM
North Branch Library, 2285 Gottingen Street
This event is free and open to the public.
If you require childcare or translation, please call 494-6662
For more info: www.nspirg.org or info at nspirg.org

****************************

Climate Change Strategy Meeting
Wednesday, August 16
12:00-2:00PM
Ecology Action Centre, 2705 Fern Lane.
Light lunch provided.
Please RSVP nsen at web.ca

If you are concerned about climate change and want to see more action on
climate change provincially and federally, please come to this critical
strategy meeting. Help us create a “Made in Canada” federal plan for climate
change and organize a provincial climate change tour in the fall. NSEN has
received money to hold a climate change workshop in September but we want it
to be an inclusive, group effort. Please mark your calendar for a climate
change action strategy meeting on Wednesday, August 16 from 12-2pm in the
boardroom of the Ecology Action Centre. Pizza and pop lunch provided. Bring
your ideas and enthusiasm! (www.climatetour.ca) For more info, please
contact NSEN at nsen at web.ca or Phone: (902) 454-6846

****************************

Environmental Law and Policy Workshop
Tuesday, August 22
9:00-4:00 PM
Dalhousie Law School
Room 104
6061 University Avenue, Halifax.
Free workshop. Lunch and travel subsidies provided.
Please RSVP nsen at web.ca

Nova Scotians working to protect the environment are encouraged to attend
this important workshop on environmental law and policy. The Nova Scotia
Environment Act is under amendment and this is your opportunity to learn
about what is going on and how to prepare a submission. You will also learn
the basics of provincial environmental law and how it is integrated
federally and internationally. This is a great opportunity to understand the
legal basics from legal scholars, practitioners and policy experts. Bring
your questions!

Agenda:
8:30-9:00 am Registration and Coffee

9:00-10:30 am Overview of Environmental Law and Policy
Meinhard Doelle, Environmental Law Professor at Dalhousie Law School

10:35-11:55 am Environmental Compliance and Enforcement
Duff Harper, Environmental Lawyer at Wickwire Holm

12:00-12:45 pm Lunch in the Atrium

12:50-2:30 pm Nova Scotia's Environment Act - Making good legislation even
better
Kim MacNeil, Executive Director of the Environmental and Natural Areas
Management Division of NS Environment and Labour

2:35-3:30 pm Strategy Meeting for Environmental Groups (What do we think
about the amendments? What are the gaps between federal and provincial
legislation? What are our legal needs as an environmental community? Should
we establish a Law & Policy Caucus? Next steps?)

3:35-4:00 pm Volunteer Legal Help: How Pro Bono Can Help You
Coordinators Rebecca Koskela & Michael Fenrick
Pro Bono Students Canada-Dalhousie Law School

The three main presentations will be 45-60 minutes followed by 30-45 minutes
of Q&A. There is a short break in between session. This is an important
workshop that is not-to-miss. Refreshments and lunch provided. Limited
travel subsidies available. The workshop is free, but you must RSVP. Please
RSVP to nsen at web.ca to ensure seating and that there is enough coffee and
food! Co-sponsored by the Society for Corporate Environmental and Social
Responsibility (CESR).

Preparation for the workshop recommended:
To get the most out of the workshop, please take some time to read the
background documents and information bulletins here about NS Environment Act
and amendments. Bring copies of the documents with you.

Public Consultations on the Nova Scotia Environment Act:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/enla/airlandwater/envactconsultation.asp

The current version of the Nova Scotia Environment Act is here:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/enla/legislation/

(*At 4:30 pm, join us at the Grad House for a drink to talk about
establishing a Mining and/or Water Caucus)

****************************

NSEN Law & Policy, Mining and Water Caucus Meeting
Tuesday, August 22
4:30-6:00 PM
Grad House
Dalhousie University
6154 University Avenue, Halifax.
Please RSVP nsen at web.ca

Over a juice, beer or glass wine, come and discuss the formation of
provincial law & policy, mining and/or water caucuses under the Nova Scotia
Environmental Network. There is a need to bring people together who are
working on mining and water issues in the province. Come for the
Environmental Law & Policy Workshop and then join us for a drink and
discussion afterward. We need to strategize next steps as to how we can
better monitor environmental law & policy, mining developments, and water
issues in Nova Scotia. Please RSVP nsen at web.ca so we know to expect you.

If you can’t make this meeting, but want to join one of these new NSEN
caucuses, please email Tamara at: nsen at web.ca or phone: (902) 454-6846

****************************
TV SHOWS TO WATCH:

PLANET EARTH
Five-part series debuts Sunday August 20 at 7pm on CBC-TV BBC crews paint
photograph the ultimate portrait of the planet, providing an unparalleled
view of the world's finest landscapes and incredible footage of creatures
that could never be filmed in the wild before. Be sure to check your local
listings. More info:

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/planetearth.html
*Check local listings
&
WHEN LESS IS MORE
Air date: Sunday, August 13, 2006
The Nature of Things
http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/
*Check local listings

WHY WE FIGHT
Award-winning film coming to CBC-TV on August 24.
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/
And
http://www.sonyclassics.com/whywefight/
*Check local listings

****************************

The Hope for Wildlife Society (www.hopeforwildlife.net) at 5909 Hwy 207 in
Seaforth (a few minutes past Lawrencetown beach) is holding its 5th annual
Open House on Sunday, August 27th from 12 noon until 4 p.m. This event will
be held rain or shine so come meet the animals and learn about Nova Scotia's
indigenous wildlife.  Enjoy live entertainment, a BBQ, live and silent
auctions, woodcarving and painting demonstrations, face painting, horseback
rides and much more.  A great afternoon for the whole family!  Donations for
the fundraising auctions are greatly appreciated and can be made by
contacting Hope Swinimer at 452-3339.

****************************

Social Justice Youth Gathering August 27 - 31, Sun. 10 am - Thurs. 4
pm
You want to know more about what's going on in the world.
You want to learn how to do something about it.
This is the camp for you.
Youth from Atlantic Canada (ages 15-19) are invited to come to the
Tatamagouche Centre to explore the issues and learn how to make changes in
their communities and in the world.  There'll be some talking, but mostly
we'll be doing: learning about racism, sexism, poverty and the environment,

building alliances, learning tactics, having fun and developing strategies
for change.
Camp Coordinators: Matt Sheridan-Jonah, Airin Stephens, Becky Lavers
Camp Facilitators : Diane Simon, Gitpu Nevin, Emma Strople, Kofi Hope,
Postal workers union representative
Cost: $200-$300 (sliding scale). Let us know if this is a problem for you -
we won't turn anyone away.
For more information, call 1-800-218-2220. -
http://www.tatacentre.ca/social_justice_youth_camp.htm

****************************

Join our Weekly E-Bulletin

Are you receiving the NSEN weekly bulletin by email? NSEN Notes is a weekly
e-bulletin to update our members and supporters on various environmental
actions, events, announcements, resources, funding, awards and job
opportunities, and to provide a venue for communication across the province.
It’s free to join and reaches approximately 400 people around Nova Scotia.

****************************

To RSVP for the above NSEN events, please contact Tamara.

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director (NSEN)
Nova Scotia Environmental Network
55 Willowbend Ct.