[Sust-mar] Marine Outreach Coord., Ecology Action Centre, p/t, Halifax NS, Aug 2 deadline

GoodWork Canada p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jul 25 11:57:39 EDT 2006

[as posted to GoodWork http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Marine Outreach Coordinator (part-time)
       http://www.ecologyaction.ca

Date posted to GoodWorkCanada.ca: Jul 25, 2006
Application deadline: Aug 2, 2006
Start date: Aug 21, 2006
Location: Halifax NS, Canada

The Ecology Action Centre (EAC) is Nova Scotia's largest
and most active environmental organization. Since 1971,
the EAC has been working to build a healthier, more
sustainable Nova Scotia. Today we have over 800
members, 250 volunteers and staff, and seven active teams
and committees. The Centre's earliest projects included
recycling, composting, and energy conservation, and these
are now widely recognized environmental issues. Our
current areas of focus include Marine Issues, Coastal
Issues, Wilderness, Food Issues, Transportation, Energy,
and Urban Issues.

Specifically, the Marine Issues Committee (MIC) works to
promote marine conservation and sustainable ocean-based
livelihoods in Nova Scotia. Currently, we are active in the
following areas: sustainable fisheries, including gear types
and sustainable seafood, impacts of oil and gas, integrated
management and protecting Sable Island.

The Ecology Action Centre is looking for a Marine
Outreach Coordinator. This position is part-time,
15 hours/week starting in the last week of August and
ending in November with possibility of extension
depending on funding.

Salary: $15/hour

Tasks:

- support for marine coordinators
- responding to general marine enquiries (e.g., emails,
up-dating marine financial database, organizing weekly
'marine team' meetings)
- coordinating monthly Marine Issue Committee (MIC)
meetings
- organizing Marine Summit (on-going from previous
coordinator) for September
- organizing SAR/DOALOS report workshops
- support person for sustainable seafood launch in
September and post-launch 'wrap-up'
- responsible for some membership and volunteer
communication and interaction

It is possible that there will be other tasks which are not
listed above but will come under the heading of 'support'.

Requirements

- flexibility
- good research and organizational skills
- background in fisheries/marine science
- ability to work independently
- knowledge of local context
- equanimity

Please send a short cover letter and résumé to Beth Elias at
seacuke at ecologyaction.ca by noon Wednesday August 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[GoodWork Editor adds... topical links, resources, listings...

Ecology Action Centre, Nova Scotia
http://www.ecologyaction.ca
Marine Issues -- Ecology Action Centre
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/marine_issues/marine_issues.shtm

~~~~~

Marine/Ocean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_%28ocean%29
Marine Conservation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_conservation
Sustainable Fisheries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overfishing
More http://www.ecologyaction.ca/marine_issues/mic_links.shtm
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22marine+conservation%22
http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Environment/Water_Resources/Oceans/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Issues/Environment/Conservation_and_Endangered_Species/Ecosystems_and_Habitats/Coastal_and_Oceans/

~~~~~

Nova Scotia Environmental Groups and Organizations
http://www.web.net/~nsen/membership/membership2.html
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/EnvCCN.shtml
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/SCN/CommLink/
http://listingsca.com/Nova-Scotia/Science_and_Humanities/Environment/
http://www.gov.ns.ca/greenweb/
and across Canada http://www.planetfriendly.net/ecoportal.html

Halifax, Nova Scotia -- general information & links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax
http://directory.google.com/Top/Regional/North_America/Canada/Nova_Scotia/Localities/H/Halifax/

]

This message will be posted online at one or more of:
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
Planet Volunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
EcoProperty Canada http://www.EcoProperty.ca
Any changes or corrections will appear there.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
SUBSCRIBE to EcoProperty at: http://www.EcoProperty.ca
or e-mail to: ecoproperty-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at
the very bottom of this message, and here:

POST IT with GoodWork: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
POST IT with PlanetVolunteer: http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
POST IT with EcoProperty.ca: http://www.EcoProperty.ca
Questions? Contact us: http://www.planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html

IF GOODWORK HELPS -- please help GoodWork! Please
support us in our mission to bring GoodWork to people
across Canada. Please make your cheque payable to:
People and Planet, PO Box 21006 -- RPO Ottawa South,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 5N1.  Or donate by VISA
or MasterCard at http://www.planetfriendly.net/donate.html
(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,
and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)

DISCLAIMER: GoodWork/People & Planet does not verify the
accuracy of the messages and listings we distribute. We also do
not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved.
It is the responsibility of the reader to confirm important details
with the other party/organization, and to take any suitable
precautions before accepting employment, a contract or
any other arrangement.

--
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
PlanetVolunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
People & Planet http://www.Planetfriendly.net

~ it takes *people* to build a healthier world ~

Listing ID: 2577