[Sust-mar] Upcoming Events: Environmental, Community Leadership towards Sustainability, Peace-Related Events - Please circulate

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Wed Jun 21 13:54:39 EDT 2006

Please circulate 8 upcoming environmental and peace-related events and mark
your calendars!

******************************

1.
You are invited to join CPAWS volunteers for our Bay of Fundy Guided Hike.
When: Saturday June 24, 10am-4pm

Location: Cape Split Provincial Park Reserves

opportunity to reflect on Nova Scotia's marine environments, and the
influence of the sea on the landscape. Join CPAWS on a guided walk to learn
about the Bay of Fundy and the organization's conservation efforts. We'll
also look at the forest ecosystem on the cape and provide information on
some of the local flora and fauna. The hike will also provide opportunities
to reflect on the importance of low impact recreation. The group will break
for lunch at the end of the 'split' after a 2 hour (one way) hike. This is a
challenging hike for all ages. Bring hiking shoes, a second layer of
clothing and your own lunch. For more information please call 902-446-4155
or email Janelle at jfrail at cpawsns.org

Janelle Frail

CPAWS Nova Scotia
Event Coordinator
Ph: (902) 446-4155
www.cpawsns.org

******************************

2.
Brown Bag Lunch & Learn on Friday, June 30

Community Leadership towards Sustainability: The Natural Step

Friday, June 30
12:00 - 1:00 PM
Room 104
Weldon Law School
Dalhousie University
6061 University Ave. Halifax.

Bring your lunch and come out to listen to a free, inspirational public
presentation about how Whistler, BC and Canmore, AB developed and
implemented integrated community sustainability plans. Learn how these
communities used The Natural Step framework and the Early Adopters process
to ignite the "fire-souls", change agents, in their communities.

Presenters: Mitch Rhodes and Laura MacKay. Mitch is a Chartered Accountant
and Strategic Planner, who is the Former President of AWARE (Association of
Whistler Area Residents for the Environment). Laura is a Communications
Associate with The Natural Step Canada and has worked in sustainable
agriculture and entrepreneurship development. They both have Masters degree
in Strategic Leadership toward Sustainability from Blekinge Institute of
Technology, Sweden and are the Co-Founders of Treadlight Productions in
Vancouver.

Organized by GPI Atlantic (GPI), the Nova Scotia Environmental Network
(NSEN), and the Society for Corporate Environmental and Social
Responsibility (CESR).
For more information, please contact nsen at web.ca or phone 902-454-6846.

******************************

3.
Highlights from the World Peace Forum

Tuesday, July 4
7:00-8:00 PM
Teaching Lab #3
Dalhousie Computer Science Building
6050 University Avenue, Halifax

Members of the Halifax Peace Coalition report back on their experiences at
the World Peace Forum held in Vancouver from June 23-39. Free Public
Meeting. All welcome. For more information, please email
hfxpeace at chebucto.ca or visit our web site at
http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org

******************************

4.
The Canadian Institute for International Affairs, in cooperation with the
Pugwash Peace Exchange, will be hosting a panel discussion at Dalhousie
University on July 5th, 2006.  The event is titled "Peacekeeping in a
Turbulent World . Perspectives from the Pugwash Experience".  Please find
attached a copy of the invitation, including profiles of the three
panellists.  The Honourable Douglas Roche will speak on perspectives from
Pugwash International; Dr. Ernie Regehr on Pugwash Canada; and Dr. Lynn Eden
on Pugwash USA.

Please RSVP to Josie Marcille at marcille at dal.ca if you plan to attend.
Josie Marcille
MDE Candidate
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Department of Education and the Whycocomagh Eco-centre

For nature, science, life and/or education enthusiasts who want to immerse
themselves in a meaningful learning experience in a beautiful setting
o	speakers, lively group activities, discussions,
o	hikes to Mabou Coal Mines/Sight Point and Uisge Ban Falls
o	reflection and exploration of  connection to nature

The Keynote Speaker:
Dr. Mitchell Thomashow, author of Ecological Identity: Becoming a Reflective
Environmentalist and Bringing the Biosphere Home.

Through explorative, interactive methods, we will investigate how our
understanding and experience of nature informs the way we see the world and
our place in it.  With this awareness, we will look at practical, empowering
ways to share our ecological identity with others while meeting curriculum
objectives.

Leaders:
	Dr. Mitchell Thomashow: the Chair of the Environmental Studies
Department at Antioch New England
	MJ Barrett, University of Regina, Environmental Studies Department
	Dr. Gordan Barker, STFX , Environmental Studies
	Betsy Jardine: Whycocomagh Education Centre
	Paula Knowles: Heartwood Institute
	Dr. Alison Neilson, OISE
	Phyllis Bernard: Mi'kmaq Cultural Consultant
	Marilyn Webster, Department of Education