[Sust-mar] Bay of Islands Centre Coords. & Board Members, volunteer, Halifax NS, Bay of Islands Center for Sust

GoodWork Canada p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Mar 10 18:48:05 EST 2006

[as posted to GoodWork http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca ]
[plus topical links and resources, below - ed ]

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

Positions: (1) Development Coordinators; (2) Board Members
http://www.bay-of-islands.org

Date posted to GoodWorkCanada.ca: Mar 10, 2006
Application deadline: Mar 22, 2006
Start date: Apr 10, 2006
Location: Halifax NS, Canada -- or telecommute

Background Information:

The Bay of Islands Centre for Sustainable Development
Association was established in 2001, becoming registered
as a Nova Scotia non-profit organization in 2002.

Our vision is to establish a 50 acre heritage farm and forge
property as an educational facility promoting the
disciplines of renewable energy, low-impact forestry,
appropriate technology and traditional skills development
through social entrepreneurship initiatives.

Our mission is to educate children and adults on sustainable
living skills through multimedia presentations, publishing
initiatives and hands on demonstrations and our immediate
goal is to achieve self-sufficiency for the organization
through workshops and facility development, product
creation and sales.

Be default, the Bay of Islands has recently moved into the
political arena and is currently involved in lobbying against
the issue of clearcutting in Nova Scotia's game sanctuaries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(A) DEVELOPMENT COORDINATORS (2)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bay of Islands Centre Association is currently seeking two
development coordinators to provide office and fund-
raising assistance for a regional not-for profit organization
& fledgling educational facility based east of Halifax,
Nova Scotia

Application deadline: March 22nd, 2006
Start date: April 10, 2006
Location: Halifax, NS or telecommute

(1) One voluntary position will be responsible for office
management which will include grant writing, researching
sponsorship opportunities, curriculum development
(workshops), liaising with the board of directors, the
planning team and the bookkeeper/accountant.

The Centre is looking for a headstart commitment for two
weeks catch-up and following that, approximately 20 hours
per month. Hours are flexible and most of this work could
be done from home.

There is a possibility that this voluntary position could
develop into full time paid employment or fee-based
contract work on a project to project basis.

(2) The second voluntary position will be responsible for
maintaining the books, producing financial reports as
required, and liaising with the administrator/office
manager, the organization's secretary-treasurer and
other board members as may be required from time to
time. The Centre is looking for a headstart commitment
for two weeks catch-up and following that, approximately
10 hours per month. This position is probably Halifax
based for ease of transferring documents.

There may be funds available in the future for bookkeeping
and/or accounting fees.

Please Contact Gail Martin at 306-347-2602 or
preferably, e-mail to gail at bay-of-islands.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(B) BOARD MEMBERS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opportunity: Member, Board of Directors
    http://www.bay-of-islands.org

Application deadline: Mar 22, 2006
Start date: Apr 10, 2006
Location: Halifax or Telecommute

The Bay of Islands Centre is seeking self-motivated
individuals to become members of our Board of
Directors and Advisory Board.

We are entering a strategic planning period and need to
refocus the goals of the organization before our founding
board members face burnout. After four years, we welcome
your new energy and ideas to move forward.

Background Information:

The Bay of Islands Centre for Sustainable Development
Association was established in 2001, becoming registered
as a a Nova Scotia non-profit organization in 2002. Our
mission is to establish a 50 acre heritage farm and forge
property as an educational facility in sustainable living
and to promote the disciplines of renewable energy, low-
impact forestry, appropriate technology and traditional
skills development.

Our primary goal is to educate children and adults on
sustainable living skills through multimedia presentations,
publishing initiatives and hands on demonstrations.

Board Member Responsibilities:

Attend virtual meetings throughout the year; physical
presence at AGM would be nice but not always realistic.
Willingness to provide assistance in fundraising
Provide feedback and assistance with Grant Proposals
Provide professional expertise and advice in at least one
of the following areas:

- Fundraising & Donorship
- Finance and Social Entrepreneurship
- Sustainable Community Development
- Renewable Energy
- Low-Impact Forestry
- Traditional Trades
- Education

Please Contact Gail Martin at 306-347-2602 or
preferably, e-mail to gail at bay-of-islands.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[GoodWork Editor adds... topical links & resources:

Bay of Islands Centre for Sustainable Rural Living
http://www.bay-of-islands.org

~~~~~

Sustainable Living Links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_living
http://www.planetfriendly.net/living.html
http://www.google.com/Top/Science/Environment/Sustainability/Sustainable_Living/

Rural Living
http://directory.google.com/Top/Home/Rural_Living/
How to Protect & Restore the Land you Love
http://www.planetfriendly.net/property/stewardship.html

Low-Impact Forestry & Non-timber Forestry
http://www.planetfriendly.net/forests.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_forestry
http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Agriculture/Forestry/

Renewable Energy - links, resources, organizations
http://www.planetfriendly.net/energy.html
http://www.planetfriendly.net/blackout.html#homepower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy
http://directory.google.com/Top/Science/Technology/Energy/Renewable/

Environmental & Sustainability Education
Env. Ed.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_education
Outdoor Ed.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outdoor_education
Orgs., schools & links: http://www.planetfriendly.net/learn.html#ee
http://directory.google.com/Top/Recreation/Outdoors/Schools_and_Education/

Social Enterprise/Entrepreneurship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_enterprise
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_entrepreneurship
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22social%20enterprise%22

Sustainable Living Experience Places across North America
http://www.planetfriendly.net/learn.html

~~~~~

Fundraising Resources for Environmental Groups & Organizations
About Fundraising http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundraising
Fundraising Resources http://sustain.web.ca/cbt/int-fundraising.htm
Financial Resources http://sustain.web.ca/cbt/int-finance.htm
More Resources for Environmental Nonprofits http://sustain.web.ca/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Organizations/Nonprofit_Resources/

About Boards, Being a Board Member
http://www.cnmsocal.org/AboutNonprofits/Article5.html
http://charityvillage.com/cv/books/bkrev115.html
http://charityvillage.com/cv/research/rbod9.html
http://www.mapnp.org/library/boards/boards.htm
http://www.vault.com/nr/printable.jsp?ch_id=253&article_id=19299171
http://sustain.web.ca/cbt/int-governance.htm

Telecommuting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommuting
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Atelecommuting
http://directory.google.com/Top/Business/Small_Business/Telecommuting/

~~~~~

Halifax, Nova Scotia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax
http://directory.google.ca/Top/Regional/North_America/Canada/Nova_Scotia/Localities/H/Halifax/

Nova Scotia Environmental Groups & Orgs.
http://www.web.net/~nsen/membership/membership2.html
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/EnvCCN.shtml
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/SCN/CommLink/
http://listingsca.com/Nova-Scotia/Science_and_Humanities/Environment/
http://www.gov.ns.ca/greenweb/
and across Canada http://www.planetfriendly.net/ecoportal.html

]

This message will be posted online at one or more of:
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
Planet Volunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
EcoProperty Canada http://www.EcoProperty.ca
Any changes or corrections will appear there.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
SUBSCRIBE to EcoProperty at: http://www.EcoProperty.ca
or e-mail to: ecoproperty-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at
the very bottom of this message, and here:

POST IT with GoodWork: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
POST IT with PlanetVolunteer: http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
POST IT with EcoProperty.ca: http://www.EcoProperty.ca
Questions? Contact us: http://www.planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html

IF GOODWORK HELPS -- please help GoodWork! Please
support us in our mission to bring GoodWork to people
across Canada. Please make your cheque payable to:
People and Planet, PO Box 21006 -- RPO Ottawa South,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 5N1.  Or donate by VISA
or MasterCard at http://www.planetfriendly.net/donate.html
(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,
and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)

DISCLAIMER: GoodWork/People & Planet does not verify the
accuracy of the messages and listings we distribute. We also do
not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved.
It is the responsibility of the reader to confirm important details
with the other party/organization, and to take any suitable
precautions before accepting employment, a contract or
any other arrangement.

--
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
PlanetVolunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
People & Planet http://www.Planetfriendly.net

~ it takes *people* to build a healthier world ~

Listing ID: 1903