[Sust-mar] Resource Coord., Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group, p/t, Halifax NS, Apr 12 deadline

GoodWork Canada p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Mar 29 17:25:16 EST 2006

[as posted to GoodWork http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca ]
[plus topical links and resources, below - ed ]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Resource Coordinator
     (NSPIRG) http://www.nspirg.org

Date posted to GoodWorkCanada.ca: Mar 29, 2006
Application deadline: Apr 12, 2006
Start date: Apr 24, 2006
Location: Halifax NS, Canada

NSPIRG-Dal is hiring a Resource Coordinator.

This individual will be responsible for NSPIRG-Dal
bookkeeping, library acquisitions and maintenance, and for
coordinating and administering NSPIRG-Dal publications
(2/year).

This is a part time (15 hour/week) position, beginning on
or before April 24 2006.

Salary commensurate with experience.

The ideal candidate will:
- have experience working in a resource centre environment
- be comfortable using a computer to produce documents,
send emails, and handle bookkeeping tasks
- be familiar with working in a University setting

NSPIRG (Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group) is
a non-profit, non-partisan social and environmental justice
research and resource centre. Our mandate is to empower,
educate, and inspire action on social justice and
environmental issues at Dalhousie University, as well as in
the broader Halifax community and Nova Scotia generally.
We are a student and volunteer-driven organization
working within an anti-oppression framework, and
providing a range of events, opportunities, working groups,
and campaigns to community members.

TO APPLY:

Please submit a curriculum vitae and a cover letter in
person to the NSPIRG office (6136 University Ave,
Rm 314), or via email to Dave Ron: dave at nspirg.org ,
by 5.30 pm Wednesday April 12. Only short listed
candidates will be contacted.

NSPIRG-Dal Resource Coordinator - POSITION DESCRIPTION

Bookkeeping responsibilities (3-4 hours/week)
* Ensure all invoices are paid on time and properly
recorded
* Complete any deposits as required
* Take full responsibility for administrative maintenance
of the financial records (including monthly bank
reconciliations and petty cash reconciliations)
* Assist Board of Directors in accessing/utilizing budget
sheets
* Participate in budget planning sessions with the board
* Generate finance reports for the yearly audit by liaising
with DSU staff and auditor.

Librarian responsibilities (5-6 hours/week)
* Research and make library acquisitions
* File all new materials as they arrive, including making
copies of new video materials prior to lending, and
including updating library catalogue
* File all borrowed materials once returned
* Assist library users (mainly students) with
finding/selecting useful materials
* Hold regular office hours for student consultations
* Keep on top of borrowings, including overdue reminders
* Take on special projects as necessary to enhancing the
library and how it functions

Publication Coordination/Management responsibilities
(3-5 hours/week)
* Communicate with authors, editors, editorial committee
* Coordinate editing, layout and printing
* Coordinate publication promotion and distribution

Other responsibilities
* Report to Executive Director and Board of Directors
as required
* Attend Annual General Meeting: introduce auditor and
present the current year's budget and financial report to
the members at the AGM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[GoodWork Editor adds... topical links & resources:

Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG)
http://www.nspirg.org

~~~~~

About PIRGs (Public Interest Research Groups)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Interest_Research_Groups

PIRGs across Canada
Vancouver Island, BC http://www.vipirg.ca/
Simon Fraser, BC http://www.sfu.ca/~sfpirg/
Prince George, BC http://pgpirg.unbc.ca/
Edmonton, Alberta http://www.apirg.org/
Lethbridge, Alberta http://people.uleth.ca/~pirg/about.html http://www.lpirg.org/AboutUs.htm
Ontario PIRG's (links to 11 chapters) http://www.opirg.org
Montreal, QC - McGill http://ssmu.mcgill.ca/qpirg/
Montreal, QC - Concordia http://concordia.pirg.ca/
Montreal, QC - UQAM http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/grip/
Halifax, Nova Scotia http://www.nspirg.org/
USA State Pirgs http://www.pirg.org/
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Interest_Research_Groups

~~~~~

Halifax, Nova Scotia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax
http://directory.google.ca/Top/Regional/North_America/Canada/Nova_Scotia/Localities/H/Halifax/

Nova Scotia Environmental Groups & Orgs.
http://www.web.net/~nsen/membership/membership2.html
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/EnvCCN.shtml
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/SCN/CommLink/
http://listingsca.com/Nova-Scotia/Science_and_Humanities/Environment/
http://www.gov.ns.ca/greenweb/
and across Canada http://www.planetfriendly.net/ecoportal.html

]

This message will be posted online at one or more of:
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
Planet Volunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
EcoProperty Canada http://www.EcoProperty.ca
Any changes or corrections will appear there.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
SUBSCRIBE to EcoProperty at: http://www.EcoProperty.ca
or e-mail to: ecoproperty-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at
the very bottom of this message, and here:

POST IT with GoodWork: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
POST IT with PlanetVolunteer: http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
POST IT with EcoProperty.ca: http://www.EcoProperty.ca
Questions? Contact us: http://www.planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html

IF GOODWORK HELPS -- please help GoodWork! Please
support us in our mission to bring GoodWork to people
across Canada. Please make your cheque payable to:
People and Planet, PO Box 21006 -- RPO Ottawa South,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 5N1.  Or donate by VISA
or MasterCard at http://www.planetfriendly.net/donate.html
(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,
and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)

DISCLAIMER: GoodWork/People & Planet does not verify the
accuracy of the messages and listings we distribute. We also do
not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved.
It is the responsibility of the reader to confirm important details
with the other party/organization, and to take any suitable
precautions before accepting employment, a contract or
any other arrangement.

--
GoodWork Canada http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
PlanetVolunteer http://www.PlanetVolunteer.net
People & Planet http://www.Planetfriendly.net

~ it takes *people* to build a healthier world ~

Listing ID: 1991