[Sust-mar] 8 upcoming environmental and social justice events from May 12 to May 31 - Please circulate.

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Mon May 8 22:19:33 EDT 2006

Eight upcoming environmental and social justice events. Please mark your
calendars and distribute. Thank you!

1.
"Get Politically Active:
Put the Environment at the top the Provincial Election Agenda"
Wednesday, May 17
7:30-9:00 PM
Room 303, Student Union Building
6136 University Avenue, Dalhousie University, Halifax All welcome. Light
refreshments provided.

The Nova Scotia Environmental Network invites you to attend a non-partisan
strategy session to prepare for the upcoming provincial election.  We expect
Premier Rodney MacDonald to call an election this week to be held on June 13
or 20. We need Nova Scotians who care about the environment to make it an
election issue. Let's strategize together as to how we can make the
environment a top election priority for all parties running in this upcoming
Nova Scotia election.

This will be an open space, action-oriented, small breakout style meeting,
so be sure to attend and participate. We have one month to organize and we
need your help and input. Let's show the candidates that we care about the
environment and they should too! We are not endorsing any specific party or
candidate, we are supporting the environment. For more details, please
contact Tamara Lorincz, Executive Director of the Nova Scotia Environmental
Network at nsen at web.ca or phone 454-6846.

Co-sponsored by the Society for Corporate Environmental and Social
Responsibility (CESR).

2.
Mother's Day Peace Vigil
When:  Noon, Friday, May 12th
Where:  Outside Spring Garden Public Library (rain or shine)
Join the Voice of Women for Peace and guest performers Clearing by Noon and
the Raging Grannies. This year we stand in solidarity with the women and
children of Afghanistan. All welcome.

3.
Songs for Peace and Hope: CD Release Party

7:30 pm, Saturday, May 13
Clearing by Noon CD Release Concert
St. Matthew's Church, 1479 Barrington St., Halifax No charge

Clearing by Noon (Sandy Greenberg, Rose Vaughan and Catriona Talbot) have
recorded an all-peace songs CD, Singing for Peace, to promote a culture of
peace and to raise funds for both the NS Voice of Women and the Halifax
Peace Coalition. This concert also commemorates Julia Ward Howe's original
Mother's Day for Peace. Special guests include Cheryl Gaudet, the Raging
Grannies, the Grade 5 members of the Sir Charles Tupper School Choir with
director and pianist Louise Grinstead, and the Clearing by Noon daughters,
Fiona Talbot- Strong, Lise Cormier, and Nika Vaughan. This recording is
being financed through sponsorships and will be available at the concert and
thereafter. Please help by pre-ordering a CD ($20). Contact Sandy at (902)
455-8544 or razz at razzmatazz.ns.ca.

4.
"Why We Fight" Film Showing
Halifax Park Lane Empire 8 Cinema, Spring Garden Road, Halifax Monday, May
15 at 7pm. Award winning documentary - Commentary by a "who's who" of
military and beltway insiders. Featuring John McCain, William Kristol,
Chalmers Johnson, Gore Vidal, Richard Perle and others, WHY WE FIGHT is a
bipartisan inquiry into the workings of the U.S. military industrial complex
and the rise of the American Empire. Show starts at 7 PM, tickets on sale at
6PM. $9 / $7 members. For further information 420-4572 or
screenings at afcoop.ca

5.
Beyond Hiroshima: Engaging Canadians in Global Peace and Nuclear Disarmament
Speaker: Hon. Douglas Roche, O.C.

Thursday, May 18
4:30-6:00 PM
Room 255, Sobey Building
Saint Mary's University, Halifax
Free public discussion.  All welcome.

BIO: The Hon. Douglas Roche, O.C., is an author, parliamentarian and
diplomat, who has specialized throughout his 34-year public career in peace
and human security issues. Mr. Roche was a Senator, Member of Parliament,
Canadian Ambassador for Disarmament, and Visiting Professor at the
University of Alberta. He was elected Chairman of the United Nations
Disarmament Committee at the 43rd General Assembly in 1988. The author of 18
books, his latest two books are Beyond Hiroshima (Novalis, 2005) and The
Human Right to Peace (Novalis, 2003). Mr. Roche holds many honourary
doctorates and has received numerous awards for his work for peace and
non-violence, including the Mahatma Gandhi Foundation for World Peace Award
(Canada), the United Nations Association's Medal of Honour and the Papal
Medal. In 2005, he was given Lifetime Achievement awards from both the
Canadian Pugwash Group and the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation. He is an
Officer of the Order of Canada. Mr. Roche is Chairman of the Middle Powers
Initiative, an international network of eight non-governmental organizations
specializing in nuclear disarmament issues. He is a member of the Pugwash
Council, which won the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize for its work for nuclear
disarmament. Book signing to follow the lecture. Books available in advance
from Outside the Lines: Books for Critical Minds book store 6297 Quinpool
Rd., Halifax.

Books available in advance at Outside the Lines: Books for Critical Minds
Bookstore, 6297 Quinpool Rd.

Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition.
Web: www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca / Email: hfxpeace at chebucto.ca

Sponsored by Saint Mary's University.

6.
Tiempos Nuevos Teatre from El Salvador presents Erase una Vex un Rey (Once
Upon A Time A King) by Grupo Aleph, from Chile

Saturday, May 27th, 8:00 pm to 9:00pm
St. John's Church (corner of Willow and Windsor St. Halifax)
$8 - $15 (based on ability to pay)

The play allows us to meet two characters who exist amidst a sea of garbage.
>From this they create a variety of stories, playing characters and
portraying the struggles of people in their country. When a third person
intrudes the drama becomes more intense. A very imaginative and physical
show.Aleph, founded in Chile in 1968, supported the social, political, and
economic transformation Chile was going through at that time.

The internationally acclaimed popular theatre group TNT, in Nova Scotia for
an international theatre festival, began in 1993 in the northeast of El
Salvador.
Working with children and grandchildren of those affected by the past armed
conflict, TNT continues to address issues of social concern in these
communities. This performance is a benefit for TNT?s work.

For more information, email hfxpeace at chebucto.ca

7.
NOT-TO-MISS REALLY - INVITE EVERYONE YOU KNOW THIS IS MARVELOUS!

Play:  A Sense of Wonder
Gain A SENSE OF WONDER and meet RACHEL CARSON

MAY 29 - 31, 2006

The Nature Trust is proud to bring an exciting production to Nova Scotia for
a series of performances. We want to celebrate the remarkable life and
legacy of Rachel Carson while rekindling our own "sense of wonder." And, at
the same time, we're hoping to raise funds for the important work of the
Nature Trust.

Rachel Carson changed the world.  She was the first scientist to warn us of
the dangers of chemical pesticides. Her landmark book, Silent Spring,
effectively launched the environmental movement in the 1960s.   She also
wrote beautifully about the natural world and "the sense of wonder" she
found there.

The many sides of Rachel Carson - scientist, poet, activist and humanist -
come together brilliantly in the play A Sense of Wonder.  The one-woman show
is written and performed by the acclaimed American actress, Kaiulani Lee.

WHERE TO FIND A SENSE OF WONDER
MAY 29t - 8 pm
Silver Glen Resort, Antigonish
Followed by a meet-the-artist reception and the announcement of a MAJOR
CONSERVATION CAMPAIGN. ($30/ticket)

MAY 30th - 8 pm
Acadia Cinema Co-op, 450 Main Street, Wolfville ($30/ ticket or $100/patron
ticket)

MAY 31st- 2 pm
Neptune Studio Theatre, Argyle St, Halifax ($30/ticket or limited number of
half price tickets on day of the show)

MAY 31st - 8 pm
Neptune Studio Theatre, Argyle St, Halifax ($100/patron ticket including a
post-show reception and a chance to win a holiday at White Point Lodge)

FOR TICKETS OR DONATIONS
CALL the Nature Trust at 425-LAND or 1-877-434- LAND (toll-free)
Antigonish: Silver Glenn Resort, Tall & Small Cafe and St. Mary's River
Association
Wolfville: Just Us, Family Book Store and EOS Fine Foods
Halifax: Neptune Theatre, the Wooden Monkey, Mountain Equipment Co-op and
P'Lovers

8.
Take 15 minutes from your day to watch this short online video of Stephen
Colbert satirizing President Bush and speaking "truth to power" as President
Bush is sitting right next to him. Stephen Colbert gave the keynote address
a week ago at the White House Correspondent's Dinner. His speech is totally
incredible considering all the people that were there and what he said!
http://www.thankyoustephencolbert.org/

You can watch Bush's reaction to Colbert's speech (a leaked ABC feed) here:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2724944?pg=latest&htv=12

A review of Stephen Colbert's speech:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/05/04/BL2006050400967
.html

More about journalist Helen Thomas:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2002/thomas-1106.html

HAPPY SPRING!

Tamara Lorincz
Coordinator, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN) French Student BA,
BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
(902) 443-2423
tlorincz at dal.ca
CESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" -
Dr. Martin Luther King