[Sust-mar] Children's Health and Environment Public Forum on Nov. 30 and Workshop on Dec. 1

NSEN nsen at web.ca
Thu Nov 16 00:04:21 EST 2006

Two important events to circulate widely. Thank you.

1.
Playing It Safe: Children's Health and the Environment Public Forum
A free public forum on the environmental links to children's health
Speaker Myriam Beaulne, Health Promotion Coordinator for the Canadian
Partnership for Children's Health and Environment (CPCHE)

Thursday, November 30
7:00-8:30 PM
Room 104
Dalhousie Law School
6061 University Ave. Halifax
(Wheelchair accessible)

Learn about the unique risks and vulnerabilities of children and their
exposures to chemicals in every day activities, new research on health
impacts of exposure to chemicals in products in our homes and workplaces,
childproofing tips you can use in your daily life to reduce environmental
risks to children. Find out about who is working on these issues in Nova
Scotia and get involved!

Myriam Beaulne is the Health Promotion Coordinator for the Canadian
Partnership for Children's Health and Environment (CPCHE). She has many
years of experience in environmental toxicology, ecology, scientific
studies, and environmental law and a strong commitment towards the
protection of our environment and our health. Myriam has worked for
government agencies, educational institutions, labs and non-profit
organizations in Canada and the United States. She aims to bridge science
and policy and raise public awareness of the dangers of chemical exposures.

The event is organized by the Nova Scotia Health Promotion Clearinghouse and
the Nova Scotia Environmental Network in partnership with Nova Scotia Health
Promotion and Protection, Citizens for A Safe Learning Environment, Canadian
Cancer Society Nova Scotia Division, the Environmental Health Association of
Nova Scotia, and the Elizabeth May Chair in Sustainability and Environmental
Health.

For more information, please contact the Health Promotion Clearinghouse at
(902) 494-1917, email: hpc at dal.ca or visit our web site:
www.hpclearinghouse.ca

2.
Playing it Safe: Service Provider Strategies to Reduce Environmental Risks
to Child Health Workshop
A one-day workshop on children's health and environment - Strategies for
Action
Workshop facilitator Myriam Beaulne, Health Promotion Coordinator for the
Canadian Partnership for Children's Health and Environment (CPCHE)

Friday, December 1
8:30AM-4:30 PM
Canadian Centre for Ethics in Public Affairs (CCEPA)
630 Francklyn Street (Atlantic School of Theology Campus)
Halifax (near Point Pleasant Park)
Phone: 428-4731
(Wheelchair accessible)

For: Organizations or groups that address environmental risks to child
health, including early learning practitioners, environmental action groups,
health care providers, health promoters and community development workers.
This workshop is applicable to service providers who work in the areas of
preconception, prenatal and/or child health.

Facilitator:  Myriam Beaulne is the Health Promotion Coordinator for the
Canadian Partnership for Children's Health and Environment (CPCHE). She has
many years of experience in environmental toxicology, ecology, scientific
studies, and environmental law and a strong commitment towards the
protection of our environment and our health. Myriam has worked for
government agencies, educational institutions, labs and non-profit
organizations in Canada and the United States. She aims to bridge science
and policy and raise public awareness of the dangers of chemical exposures.

Workshop Description: This interactive workshop will share important
information about environmental risks to child health, including
environmental exposures at home, work, school and outdoors, in the food we
eat, the air we breathe, and the products we use. It will also provide
simple child proofing tips and service provider strategies to reduce the
risks to preconception, prenatal and child health. The workshop will help
you identify the risks of highest concern in your community, and initiatives
that will support or enhance existing programming. There will also be
strategy and networking sessions to help us take greater action in Nova
Scotia.

Note: The $60 registration fee includes a gourmet organic networking lunch,
nutritious break snacks, an organic take-home gift, participant handouts and
two excellent resource manuals (Playing it Safe: Service Provider Strategies
to Reduce Environmental Risks to Preconception, Prenatal and Child Health
and Child Health and the Environment - A Primer).

Registration in advance required. Register early, space is limited.

To attend the workshop, to receive the registration form & agenda, or for
more information, please contact the Health Promotion Clearinghouse:

Health Promotion Clearinghouse
Suite 209, City Centre Atlantic
1535 Dresden Row
Halifax, NS B3J 3T1
Phone : (902) 494-1917
Fax: (902) 494-3594
Email: hpc at dal.ca
Website: www.hpclearinghouse.ca

The workshop is organized by the Nova Scotia Health Promotion Clearinghouse
and the Nova Scotia Environmental Network in partnership with Nova Scotia
Health Promotion and Protection, Citizens for A Safe Learning Environment,
Canadian Cancer Society Nova Scotia Division, and the Environmental Health
Association of Nova Scotia.