[Sust-mar] Moratorium Monday - Help Canada Make the Right Decision

susanna fuller susannadfuller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:31:25 EDT 2006

WHAT: Moratorium Monday

WHEN: Monday, October 30th, 2006

WHO: Concerned citizens that are disappointed with Canada's Fisheries
Minister, Loyola Hearn, for opposing a U.N. moratorium on high seas
bottom-trawling.

WHERE: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, St. John's, Ottawa, whatever
city or town or village you are in, at a busy intersection or location.

WHY: To demonstrate to Prime Minister Harper, Fisheries Minister Loyola
Hearn, the Conservative Party, and the international community that
Canadians are ashamed that our government is ignoring scientists, fishermen,
and other countries - including the United States - in its opposition to a
U.N. moratorium. It is time to make it clear to the public that the
Conservatives are ignoring the hundreds of scientists that warn that a
moratorium is necessary. It is time to give Minister Hearn reason to reverse
his decision and take this small step to protect the high seas seamounts,
coral reefs, and other fish habitat.

HOW: Hold signs reading "PM Harper, stop ignoring scientists. Support a
moratorium on high seas bottom trawling" or "Fisheries Minister, stop
ignoring fishermen. Support a moratorium on high seas bottom trawling" or
whatever sort of signs you like. Keep in mind when making signs that what is
being requested is a moratorium, not a ban, in international waters. As it
is the day before Halloween, creative costumes could also be used attract
attention. And if you haven't posted your photo on the blog
(www.deepseas.blogspot.com), now is the time!

Please encourage anyone and everyone you know to partipate as this Canada's
day to let our government know that we are dissatisfied and embarrassed over
the Minister of Fisheries' decision. Please feel free to participate as
little or as much as you can on that day. And if you are able to do
something that day, please let me know at
highseasmoratorium at ecologyaction.ca.

All the best,
Tyler

Tyler Schulz,
High Seas Moratorium Campaign Coordinator,
Ecology Action Centre,
Halifax, Nova Scotia