[Sust-mar] Conference: Cancer, environment and prevention

Barbara Harris bharris at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 23 10:41:58 EDT 2007

Announcing a landmark national conference:

CANCER: It's About Prevention. It's About Time!
University of Ottawa, May 24-27, 2007

www.preventcancernow.ca <http://www.preventcancernow.ca>

Over half of all cancers are preventable  - so why are many cancers
still on the rise?
Why do Canadians have so many chemicals in their blood?
Why are we still being exposed to so many carcinogens in the air we
breathe, the water we drink, the products we use and the food we eat?

Prevent Cancer Now & the Saunders-Matthey Cancer Prevention Coalition
are co-sponsoring this national conference to ask these important
questions, and develop a solid strategy to reduce the high incidence of
cancers in Canada.

Outstanding keynote speakers, topic workshops, regional organizing
workshops, and launch of the book Cancer: 101 Solutions to a
Preventable Epidemic (New Society Publishers)

Keynote Speakers and Workshop Leaders include:
Devra Davis, Director of the Centre for Environmental Oncology,
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Center
Sandra Steingraber, author of Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal
Investigation of Cancer and the Environment
Guy Dauncey, Liz Armstrong and Anne Wordsworth, co-authors of Cancer:
101 Solutions to a Preventable Epidemic
Jim Brophy and Margaret Keith, Sarnia Occupational Health Clinic for
Ontario Workers)
Ron Plain, Aboriginal Justice Advocate, Aamjiwnaang First Nation (near
Sarnia Ontario)
Henry Lickers, Director, Department of Environment, Mohawk Council of
Akwesasne
Gideon Forman, Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment
Ted Schettler, MD, MPH, Science and Environmental Health Network
Mae Burrows, Labour Environmental Alliance Society, BC
Debra Lynn Dadd, author of Home, Safe Home
Beverley Thorpe, Clean Production Action
Heather Logan, Canadian Cancer Society
Nick DeCarlo, CAW Health and Safety
José Etcheverry, David Suzuki Foundation
Larry Stoffman, Canadian Strategy for Cancer Control
Thomas Pawlick, author of The End of Food

and many others - including YOU?

For more information & to register: www.preventcancernow.ca
<http:/www.preventcancernow.ca/>
Angela Rickman • 613-482-8124 • info at preventcancernow.ca
Liz Armstrong • 519-833-7202 • liz at ican.net

You can fundraise for your expenses to attend the conference by
participating in the
2007 Run, Walk & Roll for Cancer Prevention
More info: www.StopCancer.org/rwr07 <http://www.StopCancer.org/rwr07>