[Sust-mar] FW: Canada voted worst in the world?!

Janet Larkman janet at larkman.ca
Tue Dec 11 11:49:57 EST 2007

Dear friends,

Right now, a major UN summit in Bali has just a few days left to hammer out
an agreement on stopping catastrophic climate change. But instead of helping
out, Canada is actually sabotaging the UN talks! On Saturday, experts gave
us the global "fossil" award for being the worst country in the world on
climate change.

There's still a few days left to save Canada's reputation -- and the climate
-- but we need a massive democratic roar to remind our Prime Minister what
Canada is all about, and stop him from blocking the world at Bali. Click
below to sign the petition and we'll advertise the number of signatures we
get in an ad campaign across Canada this week. Our goal is to get 25,000
people to sign in just 3 days before the ads run. Click below, then forward
this email to all your friends and family right away:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/another_canadian_climate_crime/4.php

Enough is enough. Prime Minister Harper's short-sighted, undemocratic and
big oil-driven policy on climate change is damaging the world and destroying
our image as a good country. We're supposed to be the nice guys, who try to
do the right thing in the world.

The vast majority of Canadians are hopping mad on this issue -- we can win
this. We just need to show Harper how serious we are that he change course.
Sign up now and forward this email to everyone you know - we've got just 3
days to hit 25,000 signatures!

With much respect and hope,

Ricken Patel,
Avaaz.org

PS - Here are links to some more info on this:

David Suzuki (the Nature of Things) calls the government's spin on climate
change "humiliating" and "ludicrous"
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/283829

The former editor-in-chief of CBC news discusses the damage done by Canada's
climate policy to our international reputation:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_burman/2007/12/canada_flounders_on_issue
_of_c.html

The Fossil of the Day Award site:
http://www.avaaz.org/fossils

[-525.580792-]

ABOUT AVAAZ
Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global campaigning organization
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform
global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many languages.) Avaaz
receives no money from governments or corporations, and is staffed by a
global team based in London, New York, Paris, Washington DC, Geneva, and Rio
de Janeiro.

You are getting this message because you signed "Message to World Leaders"
on 2007-03-15 using the email address carp at annapolisriver.ca.
To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add avaaz at avaaz.org
to your address book. To change your email address, language settings, or
other personal information, click here, or simply go here to unsubscribe.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to
info at avaaz.org. You can also send postal mail to our New York office: 260
Fifth Avenue, 9th floor, New York, NY 10001 U.S.A.

If you have technical problems, please go to http://www.avaaz.org.