[Sust-mar] News from the Nova Scotia Environmental Network - Climate Change Café this Friday, Eco-Hero Awards, ENGO Roundtable, etc...

NSEN nsen at cen-rce.org
Wed Dec 19 19:33:46 EST 2007

NEWS from the Nova Scotia Environmental Network

December 2007

1.
CLIMATE CHANGE CAFÉ – DRINK COFFEE AND TALK BALI, KYOTO & NS! – FRI. DEC. 21
Friday, December 21
10:00-11:00 AM
Just Us! Café, 5896 Spring Garden Road, Halifax (2nd floor – look for the
planet banner)

Come and chat with Meinhard Doelle who has just returned from Bali where he
was an NGO delegate to the recent post-Kyoto Protocol negotiations. Find out
what happened during those negotiations. What is the Bali Road Map? Meinhard
will tell you! Meinhard is a national expert on climate change law. He is
also the Associate Director of the Marine & Environment Law Institute and
the author of the book From Hot Air to Action? Climate Change, Compliance
and the Future of International Environmental Law. He has been to all the
meetings as an NGO delegate of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change
since 2000. All welcome to our climate change café!
** Jessica Wishart who was a youth delegate to Bali and is studying at
Dal/King’s College will also be joining us too!
Organized by the Nova Scotia Environmental Network. For more details, please
contact Tamara at nsen at cen-rce.org or call 454-6846.

2.
NOVA SCOTIA’S NEW ENERGY STRATEGY & CLIMATE CHANGE ACTION PLAN
Don’t forget to get your submission in! The Nova Scotia Department of Energy
is updating its Energy Strategy 2001 and creating a Climate Change Action
Plan. The information gathered through written submissions and public
consultations supported by these two documents will be used to create a new
Energy Strategy and the Climate Action Plan to be unveiled in the spring of
2008. The public consultations dates and reference documents are available
by contacting (902) 424-8090 or by going to the Department of Energy web
site http://www.gov.ns.ca/energy The deadline for written submissions is
January 11, 2008.

3.
NSEN ENGO Roundtable: Election Readiness on Mon. Jan. 21
Monday, January 21 (Snow date is January 22) from 9:00AM-4:00 PM
Nova Scotia Public Archives, 6016 University Avenue, Halifax
This is a full day meeting to plan for the upcoming municipal, provincial
and federal elections. Let’s make sure the environment is a top priority!
Presentation will be given on Lessons from Labour: Organizing for an
Election. We will be giving out our NSEN Eco-Hero Awards. Be sure to
nominate someone by Friday, January 11.
NSEN Group Members can attend the roundtable for free (Representatives of
environmental/health groups only). Travel subsidies will be available.
Non-members (representatives of environmental/health groups) must pay $45
(includes cost of membership). Individual NSEN members can attend as
observers but must pay $20 for catering. (Storm date Tuesday, January 22).
Space limited. To attend, please RSVP to Tamara at nsen at cen-rce.org

4.
NSEN ECO-HERO AWARDS: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS – DUE FRIDAY, JAN. 11
In celebration of our 15th anniversary in 2007, the Nova Scotia
Environmental Network launched new annual environmental awards. These awards
will recognize groups and individuals who have made a significant
contribution to environmentalism in our province. There are six award
categories for both individuals and groups. The awards will be given out at
our ENGO Roundtable on Monday, January 21 (snow date is January 22).
Nomination forms and more information are available at www.nsen.ca
1. Nickerson Lifetime Achievement (Individual)
Awarded to an individual with an impressive and long legacy of environmental
stewardship and leadership in NS.
2. Eco-Heroes Group of the Year (Group)
Awarded to the community group that has taken determined environmental
action, which has resulted in positive in Nova Scotia.
3. Eco-Hero Environmentalist of the Year (Individual)
Awarded to an individual who has shown inspiring environmental initiative in
Nova Scotia.
4. Cole Award in Excellence in Environment and Health (Group or Individual)
Awarded to an individual or group who has passionately promoted the link
between environment and health in Nova Scotia.
5. Marshal Award for Aboriginal Environmental Leadership (Group or
Individual)
Awarded to a First Nations individual or group who has demonstrated great
environmental leadership in NS.
6. Youth Environmental Leadership Award (Group or Individual)
Awarded to an individual youth (Under 30 years old) or youth group who has
shown enthusiastic environmental leadership in Nova Scotia.

5.
UPCOMING SENSE WORKING GROUP MEETINGS IN JANUARY AND MARCH 2008
The next meetings for the Sustainability Education in Nova Scotia For
Everyone (SENSE) Working Group are Monday, January 14 in Truro from 10:00
AM-3:00 PM (place to be determined) and Monday, March 3 from 10:00 AM-3:00
PM (place to be determined). Please mark these dates on your calendar.

6.
SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION SYMPOSIUM ON MARCH 29 & 30
The SENSE working group is planning to hold a Sustainability Education
Symposium on Saturday, March 29 and Sunday, March 30 at Saint Mary’s
University in Halifax. The main themes will be environment and peace. The
key note speaker will be Deputy Minister of Education from Manitoba Gerald
Farthing – a real champion of sustainability education. There will be a
special youth component. A Call for Presenters will come out shortly. The
organizers are the Nova Scotia Environmental Network, SENSE and Peaceful
Schools International. To join the symposium steering committee or to find
out more about the conference, please contact Tamara at nsen at cen-rce.org Be
sure to mark your calendars!

7.
NEW BOARD MEMBERS WANTED: TWO MORE BOARD MEMBERS WANTED
NSEN would like to welcome Fred Blois of the Concerned Citizens of Lower
Truro to the board of the NSEN. The other board members are Daisy Kidston of
Clean Nova Scotia, Emma Boardman of the Ecology Action Centre, and Gretchen
Fitzgerald of the Sierra Club of Canada Atlantic Chapter. NSEN is still
looking for two more board members from our member groups. We have only 6
meetings a year. We would love to have your input. Come and help us
strengthen the environmental movement in Nova Scotia. For information about
the board and a nomination form, please go to:
http://www.nsen.ca/boardofdirectors.php You can also contact Tamara at
nsen at cen-rce.org for more details.

8.
LAW FOR CHARITIES AND NON-PROFITS ON SATURDAY, JAN. 12
Lawyer and charity law expert, Richard Bridge, is offering a workshop on
political advocacy and the role of directors of non-profits and charities on
Saturday, January 12 (snow date is Saturday, January 19). Location: Room
105, Weldon Law School, Dalhousie University, 6061 University Ave. Halifax.
Workshop is for directors, staff and volunteers of non-profit organizations
and charities. Go to the NSEN web site for the workshop agenda and
registration form: www.nsen.ca  Cost: $40 (Members)/$50 (Non-members).
Registration fee includes participant handouts, nutrition breaks and lunch.
Half-Day: $25 (No lunch). To register, contact NSEN at nsen at cen-rce.org or
call 454-6846.

9.
POST YOUR EVENTS ON THE NSEN WEB SITE: WWW.NSEN.CA
You can post your events, job postings, and action alerts yourself directly
to the NSEN web site www.nsen.ca We would like the NSEN web site to be a
central clearinghouse for environmental information and a central listing of
all environmental and health groups in the province. We welcome your
contributions to the web site, please send them to nsen at cen-rce.org

10.
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS FYI

(A) Reconnecting for Renewal and Vitality Workshop on Sat. Dec. 29, 10 a.m.
– 4:30 p.m.
 Join us in Halifax for an An Introduction to The Work That Reconnects, an
opportunity to explore our relationship with ourselves, each other, and our
beautiful world in these challenging times. We welcome anyone who cares
about our planet to participate in this Work that Reconnects, inspired by
Joanna Macy, eco-philosopher, activist, and scholar of general systems
theory, deep ecology, and Buddhism. For more information on the philosophy
of this Work, see: http://www.joannamacy.net/>
For more information and to register, call Camilla Morrow at 902 431 8271,
or email:   camilla_morrow at yahoo.com
NB, there is an _ btw. my names
(please pre-register)
WHEN: Sat. Dec. 29, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
WHERE: Gottingen and North area; address will be given when you register.
COST: Sliding scale, $10-$20, depending on your ability to pay. I am also
open to barter.
Camilla Morrow is active in social justice and environmental issues, and has
been facilitating groups and teaching adults for 15 years.  She began
studying ‘The Work that Reconnects’ in 2003, has been guiding workshops
since 2005, and recently completed an inspiring 30-day facilitator’s
training.

(B) Moose River Gold Mine public comments due on or before December 24, 2007
DDV Gold Ltd. has submitted a Focus Report (PDF: 7.8mb) as requested by the
Minister on April 10, 2007. The public is invited to submit comments on the
Focus Report to:
Environmental Assessment Branch
Nova Scotia Environment & Labour
P.O. Box 697, Halifax, NS, B3J 2T8
424-0503 (Fax)
e-mail: EA at gov.ns.ca
on or before December 24, 2007, or contact the department at (902) 424-3230.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/enla/ea/MooseRiver.asp

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

In solidarity for the earth,

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director  (NSEN)
Nova Scotia Environmental Network
55 Willowbend Ct.
Halifax, NS Canada B3M 3L3
Phone: 902-454-6846
Fax: 902-454-6841
Email: nsen at cen-rce.org
Web Site: www.nsen.ca
*NSEN : Connecting for a Sustainable Future*